Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best Offshore running fuel efficient 25-30'?? >

Best Offshore running fuel efficient 25-30'??

Notices

Best Offshore running fuel efficient 25-30'??

Old 02-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on Lubbers Cay- near Hope Town- just south of Cracker P's.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Registered

Nice! We took the boat over to Hope Town last April. I would love to run a go-fast down there.......must be awesome.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BowenCT
Nice! We took the boat over to Hope Town last April. I would love to run a go-fast down there.......must be awesome.
I would too, but I bet premium fuel is a little hard to come by.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Registered

I just put in what they have at the pump. Works so far. Gas was up to $6.95 per gal. , now it's $4.50... lifes good!
Old 02-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Registered

Thanks for that v. interesting post re your experience running in the Bahamas. That's close to what I want to do....run over a lot, sometimes leave her and fly back, etc. I've kind of ruled out IO's because I'd keep my boat in the water, I know they make paint for that, but I wouldn't risk it.....but I just started looking for OB hi perf hulls....there's a superboat on yachtauctions.com in Cali that needs repower, and a 29'Scarab project in FL with a single OB bracket on the trader....I'm also looking at an Intrepid 24'WA, (only a few made) not really a go fast, but 22.5 degree deadrise and the Intrepid hull might work, or might be a bit too small for the Stream. But I'll keep looking at that beautiful Pantera....does anyone know how fast that black Pantera in the "rough water" video on Utube was running at the time? Thanks, Sate
Old 05-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2.4 MPG @ 35-40MPH average over 300 miles

Originally Posted by sate888
Hey, I’ve also posted this on the hull truth so if you’re multi-forum types, yes, it’s the same idiot. I’m looking for your opinions on the best combo of speed, fuel efficiency, build quality and sea-keeping ability (esp. head seas) in a boat, 25-30’, to run in settled weather from Florida to the Abacos, Eleuthera and Out Islands. I have gone across the board in my own opinions, from powercats, to outright ex-race boats, the intrepid/contender types, Seavee/Regulator diesels, and general purpose boats like Whaler, Dusky and Mako, and also from twin outboards, to single outboard & kicker (less weight, more fuel efficiency) to single diesel. My goal is to run 25-35knots, at 2.0mpg or better in an honest gulfstream 2-4’. Of course faster is always a bonus. Range is also desirable, to avoid too much expensive Bahamian fuel, but I figure bladders will always work if the tankage can’t be expanded easily. I’d also like to have some sort of cuddy.
While I’ve looked into all these boats, the ones I drool over tend toward the go-fast world, like the awesome rebuilt ex full race Banana boat I never got up to NC to see last year. I hesitated on it, because, like some of the posts here agonizing between cc’s and go fasts, I figured it might not be versatile enough for fishing, diving, etc. But it had 2x200 Merc o/b’s so no IO maintenance issues. I’ve also been looking at an Intrepid 24WA (made only a few in the 90’s) with a single 250.
So are there boats like that you guys would recommend? Either cc’s or boats like the banana boat or maybe the Fountain 27SF (the 31SF isn’t fast enough with the 250’s to get over 2mpg according to the performance bulletins). I’ve seen people recommend Donzi’s (and Concepts -- but not for way offshore though, unless it’s self bailing). Yacht Auctions has a cheap Donzi ZF26, probably could get it for $18k or so. http://www.yachtauctions.com/detail.asp?stockNo=18887
Other related important questions……
How fast can you really go in a 25-30 footer in honest 2-4’ conditions without pounding your kidneys out? I watched some utube videos of a pantera 24 in what looked like 2-4 or 3-5 in a race, but no clue how fast he was going.
Also, I’d keep the boat in the water, which is another strike against the IO…but from reading this forum I’m getting the sense that IO’s v. O/B’s the outboards have much fewer maintenance requirements?
Thanks for your thoughts.

See attached video

This is an incredibly competent machine.

This model won EVERY RACE in the APBA POPRA Western Division Championship in 2003 and 2004, and the APBA POPRA High Points Championship those years.

The 2750 also won the 2003 Offshore World Championship in Key West.

My LaveyCraft 2750 is an awesome overnight-er with every amenity you can stick on a 27 ft boat then some. Air condition/heating/ custom radar arch, all led lighting, 2 8" screens & dvd player. 2x odyssey 2150 batteries (I chose 2 full couches instead of a sink)

Its a 28.8 foot boat. with an 8.6 beam

It gets 2.4 miles per gallon at between 35-40 mph in 3 ft seas.

Its got an Ilmor 710 700HP V 10 n it and it can go 90MPH in calm conditions

I just took it to San Diego from Marina Del Rey spend the night and came back- I measured this very carefully The trip was 298 miles and I used 122 gallons.

I took this video on the way back from Catalina 2 weeks ago ,
My GF is learning how to use the radar and plotter.

This is an exceptional (and extremely expensive) package the way I have it configured, but with a 100 gallon tank you have superb range and performance in a package that's easily handled towed and manager with big wave capabiities.

Let us know how you decide to go.

Uncle DaveBest Offshore running fuel efficient 25-30'??-dsc05731.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Best Offshore running fuel efficient 25-30'??-dsc05732.jpg   Best Offshore running fuel efficient 25-30'??-bow.jpg   Best Offshore running fuel efficient 25-30'??-dsc05790.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: mov
san fran run.mov (1.74 MB, 52 views)