Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Lake Champlain 2009 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/202712-lake-champlain-2009-a.html)

penbroke 07-19-2009 08:14 PM

The DCB looked nice on the water today. Sounds sweet!

Frank :ernaehrung004:

penbroke 07-19-2009 08:21 PM

Here's some info on Thayer's Beach:

LINK

I gave up on it a couple years ago when they said I couldnt bring my dog...

Frank

Slinky 07-20-2009 08:23 AM

definately was wishing for a bigger boat sunday....water was a tad rough coming back from burlington to the peru boat launch. I didnt mind pounding through the waves but the woman was getting a little unhappy getting wet haha.

stayed at the boathouse saturday night... any idea who's ourterlimits that is there?

GLH 07-20-2009 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Slinky (Post 2913668)
definately was wishing for a bigger boat sunday....water was a tad rough coming back from burlington to the peru boat launch. I didnt mind pounding through the waves but the woman was getting a little unhappy getting wet haha.

stayed at the boathouse saturday night... any idea who's ourterlimits that is there?

More than likely it was Martin with the outerlimits he has the Harley dealership in Sherbrook Canada and usually hangs with Richard that has the yellow 43 Nortech V. They boat out of Mooney bay north of Deep Bay on the NY side.

Slinky 07-20-2009 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 2913750)
More than likely it was Martin with the outerlimits he has the Harley dealership in Sherbrook Canada and usually hangs with Richard that has the yellow 43 Nortech V. They boat out of Mooney bay north of Deep Bay on the NY side.

oh i c, it was a gagnon marine boat so that would make sense. They always have a nice outerlimits in the front window of the show room when we drive up by there.

VtSteve 07-21-2009 09:59 AM

Some beautiful boats out there on Sunday, a great looking red one, as I could see paddling in the Dragonboat.

Speaking of which, my old body has been drafted to be on the Dragonboat called "WINGED LADY OF THE LAKE AND ARTHUR". on Sunday, August 2nd. My old shoulders were out practicing and paddling around Burlington harbor on Sunday. It truly is harder than I thought.

This year, Camp Ta-Kum-Ta will be the charity benefitting from the Lake Champlain Dragonboat festival. Camp Ta-Kum-Ta needs a new home, and has provided summer fun for kids with cancer for years. There will be 2,000 people racing in these long 41' boats, 21 per team.

Summary of Dragonheart Vermont's mission.

Dragonheart Vermont, a breast cancer survivor and supporter dragon boat team, is again hosting this exciting community event. It's all for fun and fundraising. Since the Festival began in 2006, our local community has raised over $300,000 for charity. This year’s Pledge Partners are Vermont's Camp-Ta-Kum-Ta for kids with cancer and Dragonheart Vermont. It's a full day of fun, color and pageantry with music, food, a silent auction and entertainment for the whole family.

We're doing this all for a good cause. If you'd like to donate, and spur our team to victory, here's the link to do so online.

http://www.ridethedragon.org/donation
Again, my boat's team is called
"WINGED LADY OF THE LAKE AND ARTHUR".

Simply select from the pull down menu.

Thanks for the support

Steve

Slinky 07-21-2009 12:10 PM

I saw all the boats out there! some of the people onthe bull horns did not sound too nice...i would have thrown them off the boat! But that looks like more work than i ever want to do! good luck with the race and its definately for a good cause!

VtSteve 07-21-2009 12:25 PM

Truly a great cause this year as always. Now I just have to find a way to paddle like heII for over two minutes and not have a heart attack :cool-smiley-011: Might mean having to chain smoke for an hour before hand. Whatever it takes.

Seriously though, it's an unbelievable turnout. Last year it rained for the entire day, yet the waterfront was packed solid until 4 or later. On our boat I believe three women are survivors, and one guy is physically hampered and is still paddling. I don't have much to complain about when I see these people, and the kids that get to go to the camp each year. Some pretty amazing stories.

Slinky 07-23-2009 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by VtSteve (Post 2914766)
Truly a great cause this year as always. Now I just have to find a way to paddle like heII for over two minutes and not have a heart attack :cool-smiley-011: Might mean having to chain smoke for an hour before hand. Whatever it takes.

Seriously though, it's an unbelievable turnout. Last year it rained for the entire day, yet the waterfront was packed solid until 4 or later. On our boat I believe three women are survivors, and one guy is physically hampered and is still paddling. I don't have much to complain about when I see these people, and the kids that get to go to the camp each year. Some pretty amazing stories.

my grand mother passed away from breast cancer and my father is a survivor of prostate cancer. I just had a long time co-worker/father of a class mate pass away from cancer...its such a scary disease. Any cause that is put together to help fight this disease has my support! Just wish i had more to give to the cause.

we were talking with the dock hands sunday and they said its crazy the amount of people that come out for this event.

VtSteve 07-23-2009 10:42 AM

I was truly amazed at the shear volume of people that were there, most of the all day long, in the pouring rain. There was barely any space left on the entire Burlington waterfront area. We board the boats down next to the CG station at the launch.

This event gives me a taste of how great DaveP's event is down in NJ for the Make a Wish boat ride day. A tremendous amount of planning and work goes into these events, and I can now understand just how hard it is to produce an event like his club puts on down in Jersey. Unbelievable!

It would be great if we could ever do such an event like that here on Champlain as well. But I'll take one event at a time, and just do my best to keep the boats manned. I don't think I've put 7 hours on my own boat yet this year, but I know the algae has :eek:

At any rate, pass the word and the donation link around if you can. It's 100% towards charity, and whom ever's not putting gas in their boat during this miserable summer, can help fill our boat with donations for the kid's camp.

Here's a direct link to this year's charity.

http://www.takumta.org/

And again, Here's the donation link.

http://www.ridethedragon.org/donation
Again, my boat's team is called
"WINGED LADY OF THE LAKE AND ARTHUR".

Simply select from the pull down menu.

Our boat is one of two boats this year sponsored by Goodrich Corp. in Vergennes, last year, they had only one. Fill up our boat with donations this year for the kids, and maybe more than two boats next year.

Maybe I'll see some of you guys down at the waterfront Sunday cheering us on.