Notices

docking a boat with twins

Old 02-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default docking a boat with twins

Does anyone have any advice on backing into a slip with twins engines. We are kinda new to the twin thing so any help would be appreciated. Everyone says, once you learn it you never go back to a single. My wife and I aren't bad at it but I see some people can really back it right in there no matter how rough the water. I just don't want to be embarassed when I pull up the watering hole this summer.

Here is some advice an old man gave my wife several years back when we where trailing our boat back and forth;
While backing the trailer down the ramp, hold the BOTTOM of the steering wheel in your hand.
If you want the trailer to go LEFT, move the steering wheel to the left (make sure you have your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel).
If you want the trailer to go RIGHT, move the steering wheel to the right (make sure your hand is on the bottom of the steering wheel).

I have told this to many women at ramps and everytime they get it the first time. It makes things go smoother for everyone!!

Agian, any advice like this for backing in w/twins would be great. thanks
Old 02-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Registered

Just have your wife do it. LOL
Old 02-09-2009, 12:13 PM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jim, how is the Formula doing? anymore upgrades as of yet?
did you get the cover I sent you? see you at the Shootout.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Carder
Just have your wife do it. LOL
That's why I need learn! She puts me to shame! So, if you see her pulling in and me stand there hold "my" rope, don't feel sorry for me just buy me a drink!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

It's easy...non-brain surgeons have been docking twins for a long time. I never used the wheel much, just the forward/reverse and/or alternating combinations do the trick for the most part. It's easier than a single for sure.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Forget the steering wheel,
leave the drives in the straight
ahead position, do the maneuvering
with individual shifter inputs.

....And, don't get in a hurry.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Registered

Good to hear from you! Did you get an outerlimits??? I hope so! If you did I need a ride in it. We are going to start on it this weekend. It's been too damn cold. Dash, bezzels, carpet,ect. It really cleaned up nice. We really like the boat! Yes, I did get the cover. Thanks.
Oh, and you were right. That stereo kicks butt!! Really! Can't wait to get it to the lake. I'm going to the ST. Louis boat show this weekend and hopfully I can pick up a lift. Make sure you contact me when you get to LOTO agian, I'll buy you a cold one!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

If you don't have to deal with strong currents you will find it easier than you think. Think through it a few times in your head, as in, what the front and back of the boat will do by putting one shifter in F, and one in R, and vice versa.

Like others said - just use the shifters to guide it in - no throttle input.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:43 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you get within 50-100' of your docking area get your hands OFF the wheel. Go to a quiet cove or empty marina dock and just practice. DO NOT USE throttle until you are COMPLETELY comfortable with the twins and then only when it's req'd or you become very impatient LOL.

Basically, use the pulling and pushing motions on each side to spin the boat the way you need to
Old 02-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

do what everyone above has said. take your time, practice during the week when know one is around.
you will find that twins are easier to dock than a single.
take your time and do everything slow, remember pilings are your friend

dont touch the wheel

Quick Reply: docking a boat with twins

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.