Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/203092-painting-my-hustlers-transom-vs-gel-coat.html)

Rcrapsey 02-17-2009 07:33 PM

I tried many times to get Donzi to paint my transom while it was being built , no way.
Couldn't get a reason that made sense to me. Can anyone fill me in on the reason some builders don't paint the transom?

mmareno 02-17-2009 07:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by paintkahuna (Post 2799382)
Not trying to dog the Imron guys, good product, but is it paint for heavy equipment or dump truck beds. Use a good base coat clear coat paint. PPG, sikkens. And if you bump into something at the dock it is easily repaired.

My whole boat was painted in PPG in 2001.. it has been in Fl, and all up and down the east coast. Not a flaw in it.. PPG and a lot of clear.. I got tapped at the sarasota spring opener by another boat docking.. Piece of cake to fix can't even tell anywhere it has been touched up!!

45sonic 02-17-2009 07:46 PM

We are having ours painted over the next few weeks (along with some other paintwork) Got extremely tired of always scrubbing and using chemicals to get the transom white again.

My vote: Paint it !!!

Strip Poker 388 02-18-2009 08:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well I striped the transom,the exhaust and transom cut outs wasn't sealed from the factory very well.My shop glassed and regelled all the holes, sealing them all up.You can see the gel behind where the outer transom plate was, the diff in color.

We filled in the external water pickup hole,I'm thinking about using a Teague adjustable pickup or 2 of them feeding the one sea strainer for both innercoolers ?

It never ends,this is turning into a big project:eek::drink:

TxHawk 02-18-2009 08:48 PM

Da m n, dont you know its nearly March! Your going to have to hurry.

mmareno 02-18-2009 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388 (Post 2803412)

They alway do... As soon as it has boat in the phrase.... It's a project!!

Looking good though...

Strip Poker 388 02-18-2009 10:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I took out the back seat ,figured I'd would get it recovered at Mcleod.They just did the seat bottom spring 08.

This will give them excess to the to front edge and bilge top edge and bilge regelcoated,it was showing some wear from pulling the motors so much,and the previous owner mounted every hing on the upper walls were the see the dark spots are, swiss cheese:(only thing now is drive bottles mounted to it.Basically I wanted it to look like a new boat.

Ck out the picks,these are from behind the back seat,It looking like someone put a garbage bag against the gel when its still wet?I was told these are air voids?What causes this?

Thanks for all the suggestions,Rob:drink:

BradH 02-18-2009 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388 (Post 2803412)
Well I striped the transom,the exhaust and transom cut outs wasn't sealed from the factory very well.My shop glassed and regelled all the holes, sealing them all up.You can see the gel behind where the outer transom plate was, the diff in color.

We filled in the external water pickup hole,I'm thinking about using a Teague adjustable pickup or 2 of them feeding the one sea strainer for both innercoolers ?

If you decide to use another pickup, grind the "teardrop" in the bottom and seal it before you paint so you can put a couple of coats on it while you do the transom.

Strip Poker 388 02-18-2009 10:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by TxHawk (Post 2803425)
Da m n, dont you know its nearly March! Your going to have to hurry.

Yea this shop is slow,We boated up to Nov last year,So I got a late start on pulling motors. This shop takes on to many jobs and starts on all of them,its been there since Dec 1,I started on it myself then they started on it:rolleyes:.They just about have the bottom all redone, I got them to fix all the scratches and nicks etc, there was also a lot of air voids they called it,they have been a month just on the bottom,wet sanding and buffing, I'm trying to get the porosity out of the gel hopefully it want stain as bad? Theve been good about staying off the edges, there still all sharp.At least it will look like new for a few trips:drink:I am hoping to make Tickfaw:ernaehrung004:

The plug "O no" is the bottom.

BradH I tryed that with the Imco pick up it didnt help any,the pick is a ruff cut I tried this summer,any sugestions?

Strip Poker 388 02-18-2009 11:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
lad