Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ? >

Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?

Notices

Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?

Old 02-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are having ours painted over the next few weeks (along with some other paintwork) Got extremely tired of always scrubbing and using chemicals to get the transom white again.

My vote: Paint it !!!
Old 02-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I striped the transom,the exhaust and transom cut outs wasn't sealed from the factory very well.My shop glassed and regelled all the holes, sealing them all up.You can see the gel behind where the outer transom plate was, the diff in color.

We filled in the external water pickup hole,I'm thinking about using a Teague adjustable pickup or 2 of them feeding the one sea strainer for both innercoolers ?

It never ends,this is turning into a big project
Attached Thumbnails Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-hustler-paint-transom-004-large-.jpg   Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-hustler-paint-transom-016-large-.jpg   Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-hustler-paint-transom-017-large-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Da m n, dont you know its nearly March! Your going to have to hurry.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
They alway do... As soon as it has boat in the phrase.... It's a project!!

Looking good though...
Old 02-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Rob
VIP Member

I took out the back seat ,figured I'd would get it recovered at Mcleod.They just did the seat bottom spring 08.

This will give them excess to the to front edge and bilge top edge and bilge regelcoated,it was showing some wear from pulling the motors so much,and the previous owner mounted every hing on the upper walls were the see the dark spots are, swiss cheeseonly thing now is drive bottles mounted to it.Basically I wanted it to look like a new boat.

Ck out the picks,these are from behind the back seat,It looking like someone put a garbage bag against the gel when its still wet?I was told these are air voids?What causes this?

Thanks for all the suggestions,Rob
Attached Thumbnails Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-hustler-paint-transom-047-large-.jpg   Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-hustler-paint-transom-059-large-.jpg   Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-hustler-paint-transom-060-large-.jpg  

Old 02-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well I striped the transom,the exhaust and transom cut outs wasn't sealed from the factory very well.My shop glassed and regelled all the holes, sealing them all up.You can see the gel behind where the outer transom plate was, the diff in color.

We filled in the external water pickup hole,I'm thinking about using a Teague adjustable pickup or 2 of them feeding the one sea strainer for both innercoolers ?

If you decide to use another pickup, grind the "teardrop" in the bottom and seal it before you paint so you can put a couple of coats on it while you do the transom.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TxHawk
Da m n, dont you know its nearly March! Your going to have to hurry.
Yea this shop is slow,We boated up to Nov last year,So I got a late start on pulling motors. This shop takes on to many jobs and starts on all of them,its been there since Dec 1,I started on it myself then they started on it.They just about have the bottom all redone, I got them to fix all the scratches and nicks etc, there was also a lot of air voids they called it,they have been a month just on the bottom,wet sanding and buffing, I'm trying to get the porosity out of the gel hopefully it want stain as bad? Theve been good about staying off the edges, there still all sharp.At least it will look like new for a few tripsI am hoping to make Tickfaw

The plug "O no" is the bottom.

BradH I tryed that with the Imco pick up it didnt help any,the pick is a ruff cut I tried this summer,any sugestions?
Attached Thumbnails Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-hustler-11-1-2006-tear-down-033-large-.jpg   Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-seastrainer-pickup-7-08-028-large-.jpg   Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-hull-side-thickness-2-09-004-large-.jpg  

Old 02-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Rob
VIP Member

lad
Attached Thumbnails Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?-wind-6-10-2007-017-large-.jpg  

Old 02-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ew for a few tripsI am hoping to make Tickfaw

The plug "O no" is the bottom.

BradH I tryed that with the Imco pick up it didnt help any,the pick is a ruff cut I tried this summer,any sugestions?

you better make Ticfaw...I have a baby on the way may be my only out of state run for the season......
Old 02-19-2009, 07:34 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob,

Keep us informed on the bottom project. I need to do something with my Thunder. Good luck.

See you at Tickfaw.

Tom

Quick Reply: Painting my Hustlers transom vs gel coat ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.