Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Small cruiser help? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/203128-small-cruiser-help.html)

tblrklakemo 02-12-2009 10:51 PM

Small cruiser help?

Hi guys.......just sold the fountain b/c family is growing and now need some more usable space. Have an 11 month old and the fast boats just wont work for our anchoring needs. Ive been ok'ed for another fast boat later in life. Looking at a small sundancer type boat. I did find a sea ray with everything in want but its far away and will cost to get here. Also found a four winns and a rinker, much closer, that have my needs(gen and ac.) Any experience with four winns and rinker? Found a couple regals, but too much. Boat slip is 10x28, and lifting a boat with an arch will probably not work.

Need-the-Speed 02-12-2009 11:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have a Rinker 310 which I haven't had a problem with yet (quick Knock on something). When I purchased the boat it seemed like the best bang for the buck. In today's market you should be able to absolutely steel a cruiser.
You'll have so much more room, you'll be able to start loading your boat with new and exciting people:cool::evilb:

tblrklakemo 02-12-2009 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Need-the-Speed (Post 2799278)
I have a Rinker 310 which I haven't had a problem with yet (quick Knock on something). When I purchased the boat it seemed like the best bang for the buck. In today's market you should be able to absolutely steel a cruiser.
You'll have so much more room, you'll be able to start loading your boat with new and exciting people:cool::evilb:

nice....how are the not so obvious places on the boat? Bilge, storage, etc......poorly finished with sharp screw heads or just fine? I only ask b/c i remember crawling around our first baja and being upset with the shortcuts in places "most" people dont look in.

Thx,

Scott

tblrklakemo 02-12-2009 11:13 PM

how is the gel holding up? I will have to remove the arch and the broker guy is concerned that the gel faded so much that the exposed areas under the arch will show real bad. Its an 00' boat...white.

Need-the-Speed 02-12-2009 11:34 PM

I can't really say that I have been in the bilge very often but I do check oil from time to time. The only thing I noticed was a small corner of the sound proofing padding came unglued and was hanging down about 6 inches. I just got a little spray glue and took care of the problem. I haven't seen to many exposed screw heads or other sharp objects. The wire is loomed nicely, battery trays are clean and neatly installed. One thing I do like is the useable space and the storage boxes that Rinker installs. Instead of having a "dead" area, they have installed larger plastic boxes for ropes, tool kit, spare oil, etc. etc.
As far as the Gel, I have a 02' and it's still looks great. At this point nothing is bubbling or chipping. I do have a obsessive compulsive disorder when it comes to waxing the decks and the hull. Hopefully, the person that owns the boat your looking at did the same.
Make sure you check the bottom. Most people slap a coat of anti fouling paint but don't put the special epoxy paint as the first layer. With out the first coat, I have been informed that the boat will have a greater chance of blistering on the bottom...and then chip...and then turn into a pile. The epoxy coat is a little expensive but well worth the investment. Hope it helps.

creeper 02-13-2009 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo (Post 2799273)
Hi guys.......just sold the fountain b/c family is growing and now need some more usable space. Have an 11 month old and the fast boats just wont work for our anchoring needs. Ive been ok'ed for another fast boat later in life. Looking at a small sundancer type boat. I did find a sea ray with everything in want but its far away and will cost to get here. Also found a four winns and a rinker, much closer, that have my needs(gen and ac.) Any experience with four winns and rinker? Found a couple regals, but too much. Boat slip is 10x28, and lifting a boat with an arch will probably not work.

2007 I had made the move also from our Sonic to a Monterey express cruiser I have a 4 and 7 yr old.You wouldnt be sorry makes boating life a lot easier....I also got the later in life go ahead.my wife and I had our sonic for 9 yrs,So needless to say she also enjoyed the (go-fast)......

I have a couple of friends that have 344 Rinkers and love them.Personlly I would stick with the Monterey,Rinker,Regal in that size range 26-28.Also they will have more usable/livable space than SeaRay's......

Sydwayz 02-13-2009 12:12 PM

If we ever make the jump in that direction, it will be into a Four Winns. I've checked out quite a few in that arena, and I am impressed with the layout, quality, and rigging.

magillacuddy 02-13-2009 12:16 PM

I got a small Sundancer when we had the little ones. It was definately the way to go for family boating. The baby could nap comfortably, stay out of the sun, the head is useful, as is the fresh water.

Now that the kids are a bit older, we have a bowrider for the extra (above deck) seating and the wakeboarding capabilities (not that you can't wakeboard behind a cruiser)

spectras only 02-13-2009 12:58 PM

I'd look at 26 Formula SS , 26 Cobalt,
Four Winns in that order.

Shore Thing 02-13-2009 02:02 PM

the formula and cobalt won't have the cabin space that the sea ray, rinker and four winns will.

If you are looking at the newer models, any of the three will be great. My order would be sea-ray then rinker then four winns.

the rinker and four winns underwent major model changes around the 02-03 timeframe i think. I'd stay away from the older models from those two, but the newer models are great and much improved.