Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ilmor's new drive (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/203130-ilmors-new-drive.html)

mikebrls 02-14-2009 11:03 AM

maybe ilmor is planning to up the power on there v-10 motor's ?

any thought's

ILMORdude 02-14-2009 12:10 PM

The 725 with the Indy Drive package retails around 80k. European and CARB certified

mikebrls 02-14-2009 12:11 PM

that's a lot of $$$$$

Steve 1 02-14-2009 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by ILMORdude (Post 2800162)
The 725 with the Indy Drive package retails around 80k. European and CARB certified

Looks like a ball joint/gimbal that is a giant plus. but how are you guys keeping the drives in line?

Mbam 02-14-2009 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Quent (Post 2800040)
I spent 2 hours at the Ilmor booth on Thursday with Paul Ray, Bob Mason, Ian Hawkins and others from Ilmor. You could not ask for a nicer group of men. At the time of the unveiling there were many of the well known guys there, Bob Teague, Peter Hledin from Skater, Kevin Cooper of Powerboat, Joe Zelinski of CMI, and conspiciously missing was Fred Kiekaffer.

The drive has a transmisson of their design with 4 hp parasitic loss. The drive itself has a 24 hp parasitic loss for a total loss of 28 hp. Shifting can be accomplished by wire or cable. I am not totally up on the 6 Drive and transmissions but some of the non Ilmor folks in the booth were talking a 40 hp loss on a Bam transmission and 40 more through the 6 drive. I cannot speak to the accuracy of these numbers.

An engine connected to the drive can be placed in a traditional "Bravo" position with acceptable hp up to 900 as I recall. That will be great for refits. The new 725 V10 has a new water pump of Ilmor design, they used Hardin earlier, and meets the stupid CARB regs as well as the European stuff. Interestingly, they have a totally new propritary computer module that they did inhouse for a cool million in cost. The total R&D cost for this package was upwards of $10mil. I would say that Ilmor is dedicated.

Cost for the 725 and drive is $60k. Its 2 days removed now and I'm too old to remember much more.

I’m not sure what the actual loss is in a #6, but I just want to point out that none of our transmissions lose even close to 40 HP. We test every one we build , the drysump eats 9-10 ft lbs and our other models 12-14. So at 6000 that is 11.5 & 16 hp respectively. Given the current design that is the best we can do without sacrificing reliability.

oldschoolfan 02-14-2009 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by fountainracing65 (Post 2800039)
a thought. Why don't Ilmor get on board with Dodge dealers and offer service there? After all it is a viper motor. Also it would be a way to jump light years ahead in dealer networking. Someone just posted there is a Merc sign in every town. There are a hell of a lot more Dodge dealerships than Merc.

they better go to the nissan dealers since it looks like they are buying dodge trucks

DiamondPerformance 02-15-2009 10:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture for you guys

obrien 02-15-2009 01:59 PM

according to Illmor the drive is rated to 1000 hp and 1000 tq. I have been told that there are higher hp motors coming out.