If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Need advice

My Boats:
    2002 Black Thunder 46EC
    Harrison Twp, Mi

Need advice

I've owned a 33' flybridge cruiser for 16 years and have a little experience with jet boats. I really want to get into a "go fast" as a second boat. My budget keeps me in the 1993-1998 24-26' range. I hang out on Lake St. Clair, St. Clair River, Detroit River, and a little on Erie. I've never driven a high performance boat. I'm looking at a 25' Sunsation Aggressor, and getting mixed signals. I hear (and believe) the Sunsation factory are super to work with. My main concern is how easy I will be able to adapt to the boat and if I'll have any problems operating it safely. I'm not a crazy and understand that it will take some time to get to know the boat.

Some tell me that the narrow beam of the 25' Aggressor makes it chine walk like crazy and is very hard to handle and dangerous in real choppy water. Others say that the 7' beam slices through the waves and it handles great.

I really like the appearance of the Sunsation and their reputation. But, I'm unsure if it's the boat for me. Any input is appreciated

VIP Member VIP Member
    I think that the Sunsation will handle the types of water you will encounter on Lake St. Clair and the Detroit with no problem. You have to remember that it is only 25 ft. and as for the chine walk, use the trim tabs to stabilize it. After all you are not racing and will drive it sensible in choppy water conditions. If your still unsure, wait till spring and go for a ride in one before you purchase it.

Platinum Member Platinum Member camptappakeg69's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Henderson, NY
    Mine is a 25' with a 7'beam as well, with a little seat time and commonsense that would be a great intro to a gofast IMHO.

My AT is my first true go fast, does chine walk around 60 but have a stern lift prop. A little tab settles it down.....still to chicken to "drive thru it" but only have learn more and get more comfortable with it.

Enjoy it and welcome to the addiction
    Attached Images Attached Images