Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why do people get so emotional about old boats breaking?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/203393-why-do-people-get-so-emotional-about-old-boats-breaking.html)

mmareno 02-17-2009 07:22 PM

Preventative Maintainance..... Don't check the oil after you smell something burning... Don't change the impeller after you run the boat at 280 degrees for the day... Don't get the drive air checked for seals after you notice your resevoir is filled with water...

If you want to just add gas and go.... WEll, I don't need to say much more... Its just like laundry.. You take care of your clothes and you won't be buying them weekly..

1st Grade Math............... I think...........
Just my .02

Full Force 02-17-2009 07:30 PM

It only breaks if driven right!!

everything breaks, I was broke so much last summer I just went oh well... pull one of the engines again!

Uncle Dave 02-17-2009 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL (Post 2802217)
I know this is a little off, but damn. I cannot tell you how often I hear someone say well that boat is a POS, because it breaks every summer. They I ask what boat it is and its a 1980's or early 90's. Then I look over and their driving a 2006 truck, and their like that thing never breaks??? WELL NO CHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ask them how many 20-25 Year old cars they drive around. Answer almost everytime is, NONE.

Do people just like to ***** or are just that dumb.:evilb:

Both.

I think most guys completely underestimate (or really don't want to know ) exactly what it takes to keep boats running well, and when you combine that with the sad truth that most couldn't change a wheel on their trailers much less replace an impeller - you get what you are venting about.

Neglect from day one is a prime reason boats depreciate like used hand grenades + everything breaks eventually.

Ive read your posts-you're smart, you average hobby boater is not.

It seems we have 2 types in our sport....
Guys like us that have done it, and live it, and hobbyists that know nothing and don't seem to want to learn and whine constantly - its weird.

just charge the whiners more........

Uncle Dave

mmareno 02-17-2009 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by mmareno (Post 2802418)
. Its just like laundry.. You take care of your clothes and you won't be buying them weekly..

Dam that was dumb analogy... I read that again.... And said.... Where in the world did that come from??

Sorry It was an idiot moment.... Its over I promise!!

TEAMBAJA 02-17-2009 09:47 PM

Good thread!

I had on old 86 Baja Force that we beat to death everyweekend on Lake Erie. I hardly recall a weekend without breaking something on that boat. Waves and weather didnt matter, we were going to the islands regardless to drink out the storm. We tore the motor lid hinges up so bad we ended up ratchet strapping the motor lid down for the rest of the summer. One of my buddys went through the old style wood cuddy doors turning it to splinters, and if the fridge fell out one more time I promised I would toss it in the lake! :eek::drink:

Ryan8886 02-17-2009 10:20 PM

I own a boat that's in it's prime "repair" phase. Gotta agree...it's a fair bit about maintanance. Combine that with age and away you go. At 14 years old...hey..I expected to replace the gimbal rings soon...and sure enough, they're being replaced this winter. However, the guy I bought it from didn't maintain it for crap. The result....two fried engine couplers as well. From the looks, he never greased them once. The surveyor that looked it over was not on his game and missed a rotted transom...soooooo....hey..the motors are out anyway...and while we're at it, let's do starters, couple new bilge pumps, plugs and wires. Much more cost efficient with the motors pulled.
I'm brand new to boating in the last year, and I'll admit, had NO idea how much cash I'd be sinking into this thing...but I've quickly learned....why whine? If it's broke....just pay the man and fix it.

Also learned fast that a boat is not like a car....it's never really all the way "fixed"...it's just in various stages of functionality. :ernaehrung004:

jeff32 02-18-2009 11:20 AM

:rolleyes:

Indy 02-18-2009 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan8886 (Post 2802592)
Also learned fast that a boat is not like a car....it's never really all the way "fixed"...it's just in various stages of functionality.

A truer statement has never been written.