Notices

Herbst Skater

Old 02-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, that's sort of what I was looking for. So a $20k rebuild isn't really the sand-paper reach around so much as its a more comprehensive refresh. So basically toss everything that moves and start with fresh stuff?

And I was just ball-busing on the "F-U pricing" based on the other comment about "becuase you own a boat". I understand the differences. Just wondered what a reputable builder did for that buy-in.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

The boat is a absolute Gift.

I really cant beleave my eyes as I read this.
Bigger is better period..... Ya know what happens when ya put them in the water. Same thing when ya jump in cold water. Gets small right

Me and my 120lb Girl can load and unload mine. And I have Turbines. Trust me there is always someone around to lend
a hand anyways.

My Quad Dually Stick deisel Ram Pulls it.
Keep ya trailer brakes up to snuff is the secret.

100 k a year to maintain is BS. What the hell happen to having a set of nads?????

I sh@t my pants when I first saw mine. No way I thought.
Cant trailer, Cant launch it. To wide... ETC.

My friends stop talking ya way out of this and Please someone
steal it.
You will be glad ya did!

Just my 02.
KR
Old 02-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Registered

Pretty sure someone bought it!
Old 02-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

I would also like to know where the figure of $100K a year to maintain the boat came from. Ins. on a cat is expensive and combined with operating costs, it seems to me that that figure is way high. Cat owners, help me to understand.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I would say that one large chunk of that 100k would be insurance. I don't know what most people pay, but it cannot be cheap to insure. couple grand a month?
Old 02-25-2009, 01:22 AM
Registered

Honestly, if I've got a quarter mil in cash rolling around I'm going to buy a multi-plex or rental house or two and hang onto it until the market comes back (as long as you don't HAVE to sell, you'll never lose money in CA real estate)... Then I'll pick up a new one from the factory I guess.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

OK, if you are actually going to use the boat meaning 75 hours a season times two seasons and your up to 150 hours and time for a complete overhaul.

Now if you don't mind breaking down then you could get by cheaper, but to maintain it and have it hopefully run trouble free it takes bucks.

Price comes from, Insurance 12K X 2years= 24K, Drives 4K, Exhaust 4K, Tranies 3K, Engines at 75 need uppers then at 150 full rebuild 15K then 40K, Paint and interior touch up 10K, Valve lash and oil change, filters every 15 hours for two years (2K each time) = 20K, R&R of engines and components 10K, Fuel 15K for 150 hours, Docking Entertainment ????, Trailer ???, Tow vehicle ????

Known cost if you are actually going to use the boat and have it serviced properly are 145K for two years, not including unknowns and entertainment using the boat, god for bid you put bad fuel in or actually break something.

Not to be a downer but this is the same god dam reason the housing market is ****ed. People are uneducated about what it cost after you buy, and then you better factor in a reserve stash for problems, because remember not much is warrantied at this HP, and to dock a 46 skater with a child is dangerous and especially if you have crash boxes are you just going to gamble god will make sure theres no wind at the ramp.

First time I've vented on any site but people really need to get a clue. Now if you don't use your boat then costs are much less. I use my boat every weekend and the cost mentioned above are on the low side of what I pay. I figure pay now or pay later with big power.

Last edited by BraceYourself; 02-25-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those numbers sound right to me........Bob
Old 02-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BraceYourself
OK, if you are actually going to use the boat meaning 75 hours a season times two seasons and your up to 150 hours and time for a complete overhaul.

Now if you don't mind breaking down then you could get by cheaper, but to maintain it and have it hopefully run trouble free it takes bucks.

Price comes from, Insurance 12K X 2years= 24K, Drives 4K, Exhaust 4K, Tranies 3K, Engines at 75 need uppers then at 150 full rebuild 15K then 40K, Paint and interior touch up 10K, Valve lash and oil change, filters every 15 hours for two years (2K each time) = 20K, R&R of engines and components 10K, Fuel 15K for 150 hours, Docking Entertainment ????, Trailer ???, Tow vehicle ????

Known cost if you are actually going to use the boat and have it serviced properly are 145K for two years, not including unknowns and entertainment using the boat, god for bid you put bad fuel in or actually break something.

Not to be a downer but this is the same god dam reason the housing market is ****ed. People are uneducated about what it cost after you buy, and then you better factor in a reserve stash for problems, because remember not much is warrantied at this HP, and to dock a 46 skater with a child is dangerous and especially if you have crash boxes are you just going to gamble god will make sure theres no wind at the ramp.

First time I've vented on any site but people really need to get a clue. Now if you don'e use your boat then costs are much less. I use my boat every weekend and the cost mentioned above are on the low side of what I pay. I figure pay now or pay later with big power.
I am with you 100% and had basically the same lay out ready to send last night and said the hell with it!
My true costs averaged for the past 3 seasons have been approx 65k per season or $812.00per hrs run,not including the initial $225,000.00 for hull and drives in 05 and the 120k for new power in 06.
I can name three others in our canal with less than 200 hr 36 Skaters and a big power 43 Super Cat presently doing 6 drive pins, cracked gimbles,trannies exhaust, engines etc.for me its still cheaper than drag racing and overall more fun!
But even when purchased right, the expenses will surely exceed the price of the rig if you really run it.
Not to many guys that really put any hrs on their big power boats can say with in several seasons that they don't have tons of $ in it if they keep up with the proper maintenance!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Registered

$100k a season sounds really high afor a pleasure boat, as does the engine re-builds for $50k a season.

To freshen a set of Sterlings the cost has come way down. Ed (former VP of Sterling) and Joe (of Sterling and Ilmor fame) have started their own company, Champion Performance, a few years ago and do the builds for considerably less.

The last set through there required the standard stuff like bearings, belts, valves, cams, etc. PLUS items such as new pistons, starters, new intercooler, blower rebuild and snout, and the cost still came in under $18k a side. A normal rebuild should be under $15k a side.

Keep in mind this build was for PSI blower motors that made 1465hp. Each build is a case by case based on what is needed. Obviously with proper maintenance you will get more hours as well have less to replace on rebuilds.

Just thought i would throw that out there....someone is going to get a killer deal on this boat for sure.

Last edited by fantastixvoyage; 02-25-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Herbst Skater

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.