Notices

Extension boxes

Old 05-28-2002, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extension boxes

Where and which extension boxes are best for bravos??

Are they worth it??

cost??
Old 05-28-2002, 10:36 PM
Registered

Ryan~

Sorry that we didn't get to meet you at the lake this weekend. What happened? One of these days........we will connect!
Old 05-28-2002, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The stellings is adjustable 1" up or down and the engine stays in the stock location. IMCO is nice but if get the 3" raised then you have to also raise the engine.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:53 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

The IMCO also lets you use a dampener which is nice if you should hit something. Personally, I'm using the Stellings unit. Partially because that's what I have, partially because I want the adjustablity. The newer Stellings seem to have only 3 holes meaning that you have to remove the transom bolts to raise it. Mine just has slots so I can infinitly adjust it by just loosening the bolts.

Don't forget that Warlock is also making a box.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:58 PM
Registered

Go with the Stellings b/c here very soon I will have my On-Board-Dyno doneand it bolts on the stelling flange inside and will measure real time HP and TQ on the fly. Stay tuned.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:14 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Hey Cobra, I know that you've been talking about this system for a while. Any ideas as too how much it would cost?
Old 05-29-2002, 01:24 AM
Registered

Well..... It depends on volume and display piece. Basic unit hopefully around $2-2.5k. with ? digital display and weather new stellings pieces or used/rebuilt. Nordskod is making some 2 5/8" guages with dial and 270 degree sweep and 0-1000 Hp or TQ. THe digital display will show better resolution of figures.

How much would it cost to pull the engine, take it to the dyno man, dyno it with different headers, exhaust, ignition, fuel system, bring it back and then reinstall in boat? Now if you change something even timing or carb. you start all over.
Old 05-29-2002, 02:54 AM
Registered

Ryan,
Are you thinking about keeping the 35'?
I have heard to expect 5-6 mph on the single step. Some have told me the 35 doesn’t handle well with the boxes and not to bother with them. It’s hard to figure out whom to believe.

If you go with the Stellings you would use the top hole. The engine would need to be moved up 1 inch. Fountain did a bunch of factory boxes in 98-99. They don't do them any more because of warranty issues. The boxes are tough on bravo drives, especially the top caps. A friend’s 42 with staggered 600’s and boxes with stock Bravo’s was running mid 90’s. Only problem was the boat kept busting top caps off the Bravo’s. He never mentioned any weird handaling characteristics. I also spoke with the owner of Short Circuit, a 35’ single step. He thought the boxes helped his handling.

The Imco would have a big advantage over the stellings because you can use the engine coupler and their torsion shaft, which would put less of a shock on the drives. A disadvantage with the Imco is the need to use their steering system and a 2" shorter drive.

Grand Prix Marine has the Short Circuit boat for sale. It is a 35 single step running 92 with carbed 500's with boxes. The owner originally told me the motors were stock with the exception of headers and boxes. I have had others tell me Joey Griffin worked the motors before the boat was delivered. Either way the boat was flying. You could call the dealer and get some info. Hope this helps.

Dan