Notices

Whipple blower snout fix

Old 01-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Whipple blower snout fix

we have broke alot of quad rotor whipple blower snouts which caused us to not be able to finnish poker runs, so we decided to design our own. we made them out of better steel, bigger shaft, the end that usually breaks is the pulley side that is bolted on, we made that all one piece so it can never break, then on the other end the stock one is just pressed on with no splines and just a little bit of texture to keep it from spinning, but we have had those spin off the shaft too, so we splined that end so it could never break loose. we also have had the bearings sieze up, so we are using higher rated bearings. here are some pics of ours and the stock one.
Attached Thumbnails Whipple blower snout fix-1.jpg   Whipple blower snout fix-2.jpg   Whipple blower snout fix-3.jpg  

Old 01-13-2009, 10:26 AM
Registered

this is the end that usually breaks, the only thing holding this from spinning is the little bit of surface area around the bolt. once it spins it loosens the bolt just a little bit and causes the pulley to woble then it breaks off. as you can see ours is one piece.
Attached Thumbnails Whipple blower snout fix-6.jpg   Whipple blower snout fix-8.jpg  
Old 01-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Registered

more pics.
Attached Thumbnails Whipple blower snout fix-4.jpg   Whipple blower snout fix-7.jpg  
Old 01-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had battle over battle over these snouts. I sent mine to Sterling which made some changes and assure me they won't break again. So far so good. I am very interested in yours. I was actually tuning my engines down to 1350 hp to help keep from breaking these snouts. I have broken more over these stupid snouts then all other reasons combined!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Registered

Have you done anything with that piece of crap, plastic coupler that break constantly?

Last edited by LubeJobs42; 01-13-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
I have had battle over battle over these snouts. I sent mine to Sterling which made some changes and assure me they won't break again. So far so good. I am very interested in yours. I was actually tuning my engines down to 1350 hp to help keep from breaking these snouts. I have broken more over these stupid snouts then all other reasons combined!
Ditto....
My weakest link by far.

Mercury makes the coupler out of carbon fiber....I am getting those.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Have you done anything with that piece of crap, plastic coupler that break constantly?
we can make that too if someone wants it.
I know you have had problems with them, we took poffshores out and put it in your boat at the shootout so you could run.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Registered

Tyson, can you PM me pricing for the 2 sets? If i can't break them, they are bullet proof!
Old 01-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I commend you on a fine effort and solution to this problem. We do this type of thing daily for industrial customers and I like your way of thinking.

I’m just curious as to what brand of bearing you are using?

I sell bearings and we are authorized distributors for Fafnir, SKF, MRC, NTN and many imports including KBC and RBI. Most manufacturers use black for their seal color on radial ball bearings and the only brand I have using brown is NTN Japan which is a good quality bearing but those do not look like NTN.

If I can be of any service to you on the bearings and oil seals please let me know.

Thanks
Mark
Old 01-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow I was assured whipples NEVER break!!
10 yrs running 1471s with one rebuild and never a failure.
Something to be said about old school. Nice upgrade

Quick Reply: Whipple blower snout fix

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.