Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
2 NFL Players Missing Off Clearwater >

2 NFL Players Missing Off Clearwater

Notices

2 NFL Players Missing Off Clearwater

Old 03-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went back and edited my post to take out my heartless comment. It was uncalled for.

My heart goes out to the families of those involved in this tragedy.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

They called off the search tonight...devastating...absolutely devastating. I hope they died with some sort of peace
Old 03-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
When I was coming back from KW in Nov 07, as soon as we came out of the inlet, it was 2-3's..I knew it was going to be a long way home..On the way up I burned from Pompano inlet to KW 187 gallons...I filled up with 220 for the departure..well guess what..it wasnt enough...I should have put 3 more gallons in..We went through 4-6 footers, which required obviously more throttling and my smart craft was not working properly going in and out..so that when I hit Miami it showed I had 45 gallons..no problem..I thought I will make it...it went to 18-19 gallons half way to the Pompano..so I was faced with turn around and possibly get back to Miami or stay on plane in an idle situation best as possible to get to the Pompano inlet..I ran out of gas about 1 mile short...water was splashing over the side..Sandy was freaking...thank god one of the A.T. guys CLARK and CHUCK BEECHER in their 37 AT turned around and came back for me..otherwise my new 43 Nortech could have been up against the rocks, or if I dropped anchor might have also had a bad situation like these guys. You just never know. They lassoed a rope in which I tied to my boe cleat and proceeded to pull me in through this sh#t..(6+ sea's). My point is even if you don't ever plan on it, and use good judgement, it might just happen...Clark's nick name is now CLARKSTAR..just like GM's Onstar...Thank You again buddy..Jeff
Same story two weekends ago after the Miami Boat Show PR. Dumped 75 gallons in, ran back with two other boats but I had to run WOT to stay with them. Ran inside up to Stiltsville then outside to Haulover, at Govt Cut needle was bouncing on E, brought boat to idle in 2-3ft sloppy chop, gauge popped back to 1/4. Only 7-8 miles to Haulover but that is a nasty inlet on a outgoing tide. Palms were sweaty all the way until I hit the ICW thinking I may run out at any minute. Got back to Haulover ramp and needle was resting on E. I will know when I fill the tank next how close I got to running out.......
Old 03-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bonecrusher
I have just read your pathetic apology and it amazes me that even after all the quotes you have read of these heart felt concerns that many of our OSO community have been giving you came up with another couple quotes still talking trash. Shame on you. I hate to say it but some people just think they know everything and (mmareno) you happen to be one of these guys who never does anything wrong or has never made a mistake. An apology from you would have been appreciated and accepted. We all make mistakes and say things we dont always mean but you continued on. Remember a sorry goes a long way. But then your ignorance and lack of respect for HUMAN LIFE continued to show as you were trying to reason why these men (as you say SUPERSTARS) should of and could of had a bigger boat which would have made everything alright. Well judging people in times of tragedy it down right appalling and disgusting. I pray to god you never experience tragedy like these men and their families but if you do maybe your outlook on life may change. God Bless these families who have been struck with a terrible tragedy.
Mr. BoneCrusher, Nice name by the way, I am sorry again for upsetting you.. My feelings are "my feelings".. These accidents are becoming either more frequent or getting more publicized.

One day everyone will have to have some type of safety course or something...

Yes I do agree with Jassman, there are situations that come up that "WE" can't predict. But Again, ( I know you won't like this) 4 guys in a 21 foot boat.... How many miles out???... I don't care if it is calm... That is far for a center console 21 foot boat... Better steps "could" have been taken... I do feel horrible for the families, friends, of anyone that loses loved ones...

So again.. I do apologize for getting your temper flared up... and you are right this about losing some fellow boaters.. I just think 'SOMEONE" needs to put some strong input on boater safety.... We are losing too many to accidents that "MAY" be prevented..
Old 03-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the word from the survivor? Is he talking?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:09 PM
LZH
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
What's the word from the survivor? Is he talking?
Exactly...I wanna know what happened. They were under anchor in heavy seas when the boat was flipped and they got tossed. Were they lost ?? Were they drunk ? Were they out of gas ?? Did they have engine trouble ???
Old 03-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Registered

This is the most I have found:

Life Vests

Schuyler was “very exhausted and somewhat groggy” during his conversation yesterday with the Coast Guard, Close said earlier today. The survivor told authorities the four men weren’t wearing life jackets when the 21-foot boat flipped at around 5 p.m. New York time on Feb. 28 but immediately swam under the boat and were able to don the vests, Close said.

“We haven’t been able to have any more detailed conversations with Mr. Schuyler due to his physical and medical conditions,” Close said in his final news briefing before suspending the case.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Registered

I have read about 15 diferent articles... This is One more:

Kevin Smith, a Florida native, said he has been fishing off the coast as far as the men were in boats smaller, the same size and larger than the 21-foot watercraft that capsized.

"The No. 1 thing when you're out there is, you have to respect the water," he said. "I know those guys had safety vests. I'm trying not to even think about it. That's a tough way to go."

The four friends left Clearwater Pass early Saturday in calm weather, but heavy winds picked up through the day and the seas got heavy, with waves of 7 feet and higher, peaking at 15 feet on Sunday. A relative alerted the Coast Guard early Sunday after the men did not return as expected. The Coast Guard said it did not receive a distress signal.

Close said some family members asked about continuing the search on their own, which he discouraged but said the Coast Guard wouldn't prevent.

"I can't emphasize this enough," Close said. "We do not want any additional search and rescue cases resulting from people who are outside their experience level."

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission may be heading out Wednesday to recover the boat, which was still on the water.

Schuyler told the Coast Guard the boat was anchored when it capsized. The four friends were able to put on life vests and huddle together, but eventually became separated, he said.

Schuyler was dehydrated and showing symptoms of hypothermia, but his condition was upgraded to fair on Tuesday. Hospital officials said he didn't want to talk to the media.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:10 PM
LZH
Registered

Originally Posted by mmareno
IThe four friends were able to put on life vests and huddle together, but eventually became separated, he said.

Hospital officials said he didn't want to talk to the media.

Sounds fishy....no pun intended.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats that they say about hindsight,it's 20/20.

Bottom line is one guy is still here and if he says they dropped anchor on a perfectly good boat when it was rough and it took on water and captsized then it was their fault, if the boat was inop then they should have rapped a jacket or something around the anchor and put it in the water but not on bottom and hoped the current would drag them along so they werent just getting tossed around, they make an anchor that does that but I dont know anybody that has one. Or maybe they do like me on my fishing boat and just leave the anchor tied to the cleat and the boat was hit by a wave and when it flipped the anchor fell out and set itself. I would have to think we will learn atleast 80% of the truth in the next few days.

In Oct. 2002 I was caught in the Gulf Stream going to the Bahamas in my 42 Sonic, was fine one minute then started getting bad real bad we were at the halfway point when it got real real bad. 15-20 footers no lie. It was me and my wife best friend and his girl. The girls were holding on to the back of the seat kneeling on the floor and crying so loud I could hear them over all the other noise, all I could think about was not seeing my kids again we took so much water over the bow and in our faces I could barley see from the salt water in my eyes and I still dont know how the bilge pumps kept up. We stuffed it so hard one time it tore the bow light off. It wound up taking 5 hours to get from Lauderdale to Bimini. thats 50 miles. By the time we got there I could not open my hands and they wanted me to fillout the customs paper work, both my shoulders had knots so big they hurt for a week. All the glass in the coolers was broken like $500 worth, the microwave, the refridgearator, the TV, something hit the Elec. planel and smashed it and alot of the hinges were broken. I put the boat back together as good as I could with duct tape to finish our 2 week vacation. When I got back to the Sonic plant I told them I needed to leave the boat for some repairs. They took one look at the inside and had to go get Jay Ross to look at it. He asked me if I worked for Consumer Reports. We told them the story and when we were done they told us that a 32 foot boat went down at around the same time and place and all 6 people were lost. Jay told me not to worry about the boat and that he would fix it for me. I left the boat there till March when I and 2 best friends went back down to go back to the Bahamas my wife will never go again unless I buy a ship. The boat was better than new and he didnt charge me a dime. So I know a little about the fear and horror they went though and if I wasnt in a 42 foot boat that was built for the ocean we would have been dead.

I hope they rest in peace and maybe some others will be safer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.