Notices

T2X When was the last

Old 03-19-2002, 09:48 AM
BK
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, now I know where the logon name "T2x" comes from now!

T2x is exactly right about the St Louis Grand Prix F1/Champ boat racing being the "Indy 500". Because of water leve problems, they've moved the race from the famous George Winter Park in Fenton, MO, to Creve Coeur Lake, closer to the Heart of St Louis.

But despite this, St Louis is still the number one race to race/watch on all the Formula 1 series'. People come from around the globe. You never know who will be sitting beside you: Some names seen in the spectator seats last year were: ex-F1 racer Julio Corbetta of Brazil, ex-Champ driver Birger Halsaa from Norway, Jerry Gilbreath, F1 racer of Malaysia - Simon Saw, Formula Two driver Rolf Sunde from Norway/Saudi Arabia.

This year I'm trying to convince Dr Massimo Scotti of Milan Italy to come be our guest at St Louis -- he is the son of the late-great Cesare Scotti. (Cousin to Renato Molinari). His father once told him he had to come see a tunnel boat race in America someday, and he's finally to the point where he's going to take his father's advice. He was only 9 when his father was killed in a race in Paris. Really can't wait to meet him!
Old 03-19-2002, 10:52 AM
Registered

Yahoo

Where did you see when the race was in corpus? I looked on apba web site & they did not show any race in texas at all. Am I looking in the wrong places
Old 03-19-2002, 12:21 PM
CatAttack

T2X,
Home Depot has plywood on sale and I have plenty of 1/4in. strips of lumin. Can we get a boat ready to run this year ?
History always repeats it's self.

Old 03-19-2002, 07:24 PM
Fastcat

Talking

Hey Catattack, Can I get in on this boat I just bought a new mitre saw, I have lots of 5200 and some chair rail that I didn't use in the kitchen that we can use for lifting strakes. Maybe T2x can draw us up some plans , then Supercat here we come!!!

Old 03-19-2002, 07:51 PM
Registered

Give us some more insight. Why is St. Louis considered the best? What makes this race so special to the racers, the course, people, support? I know some racers who are very passionate about St. Louis and would not miss this race for anything. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2002, 07:54 PM
CatAttack

Sure FastCat,
I have many wood tools including a propane finish nailer I think we have a plan... T2X are you in????

Old 03-19-2002, 08:00 PM
CatAttack

Sure FastCat,
I have many wood tools including a propane finish nailer I think we have a plan... T2X are you in???? I'm getting really sick of watching the great Skaters killing all the fast boats in smooth water. Pt. Pleasent should be the debut then all of the other BIG WATER races ie..KW

Old 03-19-2002, 08:14 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

St. Louis holds many memories for me.Yeah, the people,the race site,the enthusiasm of the fans and more. Best memory was from about 1976,our all wood McCall tunnel was smokin' pretty good,a few places back but in good position before the railroad crosstie floated in front. The only thing we brought back to Alabama was a small piece of wood with the McCall logo on it. John McCall is gone, our driver is gone also, but lots of memories. St. Louis was the best,thanks for bringing it up again. Magicfloat
Old 03-19-2002, 08:23 PM
BK
Registered

St Loius is probably the "elite" race, because it has been a continuous race site for so many years -- I think the first races began in the early or mid 70s', put together by Bill Seebold.

At one point it was known as the "World Championship race", and it was normal to see the #1 teams from all over the world come there to compete. They really were vying for the World title.

That tradition never ceased, even after St Louis lost the "World Championship" title. It still brings out the best racers and the biggest number of entries. Even racers around the globe make the effort to come to this race above all the others, even if it is just as a spectator. A "racer reunion" atmosphere. The free after race party in the pits is always well supplied by the local Bud Light distributor, especially if a Seebold wins.

Bay City Michigan is rapidly becoming another "Must See" event on the Formula One circuit. It also is not such a long haul race for many of the racers, and coupled with the big Concerts, Formula Two National Championships and the Pro Tunnel Tour, it draws large fleets of boats and hoards of spectators. The hotels are full for many months in advance.

People on the pit side of the river are high above the water line - they can see everything that is happening on the water, even when boats are bunched up. Great viewing.

The teams love it there -- the pits are paved with nice manicured grass behind the trucks, and everyone is lined along the Saginaw rivers edge. They've got a Hooters within walking distance of the pit area, usually have a carnival going less than 200 yards away, plus the line of small pubs in the old part of downtown Bay City are becoming a tradition - they are absolutely jam-packed on Fri and Sat night. *All* filled up with boat racers. The party is awesome!
Old 03-19-2002, 08:36 PM
Registered

What are the details of the new Champboat series? How is this different from Fromula One/PROP?

Quick Reply: T2X When was the last

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.