B&M 2 speed marine transmissions >

B&M 2 speed marine transmissions

Notices

B&M 2 speed marine transmissions

Old 03-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll have a set of Speed Shift 2 speed transmissions in my 46 Skater at the Saint Pete PRA if anybody wants to look at them.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

Are they the B&M's?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I had them in my Motion. I will save you some money as you WILL BLOW THEM up if they are not center aligned. The crank must be perfectly centered with the bellhousing or the trans pump will go boom. We used offset dowel pins (Jegs sell them) to line up the crankshaft to the bellhousing. This is a must do. Ateco Engines used some tool to do this. I watched it only took a few minutes. I found out hard way twice.....
Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RMPRam
Are they the B&M's?
No. Special built transmissions built to handle 1200 + HP and take the abuse of a heavy 46 in 3 to 4 to 5 footers in and out of the water. They were built to fit in the same place as bam or hubers. Bam builds a great transmission but I couldn't get them to live with the abuse I gave them. I don't know anything about your B&Ms. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by FREEDOM US1
No. Special built transmissions built to handle 1200 + HP and take the abuse of a heavy 46 in 3 to 4 to 5 footers in and out of the water. They were built to fit in the same place as bam or hubers. Bam builds a great transmission but I couldn't get them to live with the abuse I gave them. I don't know anything about your B&Ms. Good luck.
Jim anything on the different gearing we discussed?

I need to break 200

HIJACK over
Old 03-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the experts...

I just happen to be going through this now as I have an old 12 meter with two speeds, the motors are out but want to put it back together right the first time...

Quick question... Once the transmission is centered on the bell housing, I should be good to go. I don't see a need to remove the tranny from the bell housing so I should be able to just bolt them back to the block. Correct? Or should center be checked when removed from the block? The boat ran a few years with these trannies already and don't want to mess with them if I don't have to.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

So long as the bellhousing was not removed you should be fine. The B&M is not a very strong transmission. Anything over 1000hp is risky.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RMPRam
Can anyone point me to any articles/pictures on B&M 2 speed marine transmissions? I just bought 3 of them and am looking for information on how they were coupled to the flywheel. If anyone knows where there are any couplers lying around for these transmissions I would appreciate a helping hand. Thanks for any help.

Gary
Back in 1994 I was testing with the various trannies with Gentry when we were getting ready for the Kilo runs with our 40` Skater Gentry Eagle. We were working with Art Carr trannies in Calif. We tried the Turbo 400`s and the two speed Torqflites, at that time neither worked for us. We were running a 1.25 gear in the #6 and Destroked big block`s to 357 cu in. with twin turbo`s motors turned 8,500 and pulled over 60 inches of mercury on full boost over 1,100 hp each. We tried everything to get on plane, finally got the fuel mapping corrected and didn`t need the trannies, we blew them all to hell anyway, but again that was then. Art Carr should be able to help you with items needed and info. Good Luck
Old 03-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
So long as the bellhousing was not removed you should be fine. The B&M is not a very strong transmission. Anything over 1000hp is risky.
That's what I suspected. I'm only running 800hp so I should be good for a while. If these go I'll change trannies.

Thanks Brad.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT
Jim anything on the different gearing we discussed?

I need to break 200

HIJACK over
Get bigger Props !! And 1:24 gears then turn 1to1 . 180 mph would be a good number!!

Quick Reply: B&M 2 speed marine transmissions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.