Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat speed limit in Maine!!!!! >

Boat speed limit in Maine!!!!!

Notices

Boat speed limit in Maine!!!!!

Old 03-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Any and all are welcome to help fight this bill.

Pretty sneaky and very little notice, it was buried with a bunch of other bills.

http://www.maine.gov/legis/house/wlr/wlr0907.htm
Old 03-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in.I'll meet you and Jon at the Gray exit.I gathered up some of the scream and fly guys too.Strength in numbers.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Registered

I also contacted the jetski crowd from the marina as this will effect them too.Maybe local bass clubs would be an idea,most of those guys run well over 45mph.I'll make whatever calls I can.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Registered

I talked to Jeff Richardson, who owns Richardson's Marina. He knows someone on the inland fisheries and wildlife committee and talked to him about the ridiculous nature of this proposed law. Also talked to the Executive Director of the Maine Marine Trades Association. Her group's position is to oppose any restriction to boating on any body of water in the state and she plans to be at the hearing. I'll be there armed with 2007 CG boating statistics as well.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks guys, I've been on the phone all day. We've got quite a few people who are going to make the trek to Augusta on Thursday. Hopefully we can beat this thing.

Kurt
Old 03-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I did not get the job finished today but I am working a bunch of different angles that will allow me to get up there.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Speed limit on Long Lake, NY is 50 mph, and has been for sometime now. The Town Board passed the resolution back about '98. It was all due to tree hugging environmentalists who don't like power boats what so ever, needless to say they have money backing them. Then they proposed limiting access to power boats beyond a certain part of the lake, but that was shot down. Then they tried to put a ban on all PWC, which was shot down also. Now their new thing is to try to ban power boats on certain rivers, lakes and ponds in order to achieve " Quiet Waters" for their own pleasure, while they paddle their canoes and kayaks. Only this time they are doing it through the state level. Not much is posted in papers on this subject and the reason is because they are feeding the pockets of the NYS Adirondack Park Agency and of the elected officials in Albany, that they are keeping it hush hush. If they get their way, what waters will be next? Problem is, there is not enough voices opposing all the proposed bans. Every one has got to get together and fight these SOB's and put them in their place. People have to start speaking up or they will just keep getting what they want. As far as I'm concerned, all governments here in the US have to be restructured, from the local level all the way to the federal government. Throw them all out and start from scratch!!! The mess these politicians have created and continue to create is going to affect our country for a long long time, but yet I don't see any one speaking out. I and a others in my town have spoken out against our Town Board, did we get results, no we didn't, but we will force them to uphold our demands. One thing I think people don't remember, they are not the law, we the people are the law, we just hire them to uphold the law. If you want my voice opposing the speed limit, contact me and tell me who to write and I would gladly do so. But, in return, I want you to write the NYS APA and oppose the "Quiet Waters" proposal. Numbers do count!!! Good Luck!!!

John
Old 03-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Arti and I will be heading up in the AM to hook up with you guys in New Gloucester Exit. I will call you when we are on our way up. Should be up there just before 11 if that work. If we need to be there earier let me know. Kurt who else is going? Do we have a good "spokesman" yet?

Jon
Old 03-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Wish I could have made it there today. Presence for opposition is a major factor, but sadly in NH, shameful twisting of facts is what prevailed for the next 2 seasons. This is a preliminary hearing, not actually a vote -yes? Curious to hear the turn out.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:04 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Well there was a decent showing up there in oposition to the law. Only one person other then the person that wrote the bull spoke in favor. She was a friend of the ladie that died in the accident. I think that maybe she helped us a little bit in that she said that she does not want to stop with the laws until all of the speed boats are banned from the lakes. We also have the Game Wardens on our side. They aslo seemed less then impressed that they tried to sneek this through with out anyones knowledge. We should know more next month on the 2nd.

Jon

Quick Reply: Boat speed limit in Maine!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.