55 MPH Group in Poker Runs >

55 MPH Group in Poker Runs

Notices

55 MPH Group in Poker Runs

Old 03-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DollaBill
Someone told me your fast pace boat got passed by a 21' Stingray last year........
Hahahaha good one!

You mean a 21' Sh*tbox that blew past the 60mph group and though he was king of the landfill?
Old 03-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by salesmanship
1999 Islands? Is that what Prince was singing about in that song? Must be some kind of party place.
Fat fingers today ......
Old 03-11-2009, 05:15 PM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Setting up a proper safety management system is only half the battle. Attracting a diverse group requires proper and repeated messaging.

The Florida Power Boat Club runs as many lead boats as required and for at least the past five years has had the 55-65 MPH group on the large runs.

He have also set up the 110 and above group to get the faster boats out and away from everyone else. Remember Key West 2007 we had five departure groups on Thrusday alone.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine
So you can watch them rip past and save some smooth water for the smaller boats. I find half the fun in running a poker run is watching the "fast" boats rip by.
Which works until a couple of trigger happy Cat pilots decide to jump the start at the last card stop, and run back through most of the pack.

We had a closing rate of 257 MPH with the boat that was coming towards us.

I've been lucky enough to run as a navigator with the guys from Typhoon for the last 8 years in the 1000 Islands PR, we've ben a pace boat for 5 of them.
The year they stopped sending the under 75mph out first was a huge step towards making the run safer.

If you want to see the fast boats run, then tie up on the side of the run.
On an Open Ocean run you might have room to let the fast boats through, on a river run, (and the St. Lawrence isn't a small river) there is just no room.

Last edited by bluellama; 03-11-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bluellama
Which works until a couple of trigger happy Cat pilots decide to jump the start at the last card stop, and run back through most of the pack.

We had a closing rate of 257 MPH with the boat that was coming to wards us.

I've been lucky enough to run as a navigator with the guys from Typhoon for the last 8 years in the 1000 Islands PR, we've ben a pace boat for 5 of them.
The year they stopped sending the under 75mph out first was a huge step towards making the run safer.

On an Open Ocean run you might have room to let the fast boats through, on a river run, (and the St. Lawrence isn't a small river) there is just no room.
We also like to see the fast boats scream past us, but like you said it depends on the body of water, we are out on Lake MI or Lake Erie in pretty wide open areas. The thing I like best about the Lake Erie runs is that at each card stop we dock and even get off the boat for a while, then we try our best to start off again at the same time and in the same direction. Most of us enjoy the start when more boats are grouped together. We did a few runs on Lake MI that after a while you felt like you were out there completely on your own, especially towards the end of the run when a lot of the boats had broke down. The area is large and the distance between stops can be 40 miles or more so the boats really spread out. I think it's hard to make a sweeping decision that fits all poker runs, each one has a different assortment of boats and waterways.

Last edited by Ms PatriYacht; 03-11-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
We also like to see the fast boats scream past us, but like you said it depends on the body of water, we are out on Lake MI or Lake Erie in pretty wide open areas. The thing I like best about the Lake Erie runs is that at each card stop we dock and even get off the boat for a while, then we try our best to start off again at the same time and in the same direction. Most of us enjoy the start when more boats are grouped together. We did a few runs on Lake MI that after a while you felt like you were out there completely on your own, especially towards the end of the run when a lot of the boats had broke down. The area is large and the distance between stops can be 40 miles or more so the boats really spread out. I think it's hard to make a sweeping decision that fits all poker runs, each one has a different assortment of boats and waterways.
Well put!
Old 03-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bluellama

We had a closing rate of 257 MPH with the boat that was coming towards us.

I had a rebuttle to this but as it is a open forum no need to argue over opinions as everyone has there own. Like Ms Pat said the poker runs we typically attend are on VERY Large bodies of water and the boats spread out quickly.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Registered

I also agree that all the faster boats should go first.. Let them get out and blow off the Adrenaline they need to. I think it is way to unsafe to have the big Super Cats blow by the little guy.. He may hear them coming and move to the right or left to see them " rip by" ( as someone put)... and things happen too quick.. Send them out Fastest to Slowest.. The fast one can get to the card stops/ lunch quickest. Serve Lunch when the slow boats get there... Lets the Fast boats Refuel for the ride home... and tighten all the hardware they just loosened.

Just my .02
Old 03-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine
I had a rebuttle to this but as it is a open forum no need to argue over opinions as everyone has there own. Like Ms Pat said the poker runs we typically attend are on VERY Large bodies of water and the boats spread out quickly.
I should have included the Great Lakes when I said Open ocean, or just left it as Open water.....

No disrespect meant to the Great Lake Boaters.

Last edited by bluellama; 03-11-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
Well to be honest with you, almost all the PR's I have ever been to most run 35-50mph for 95% of the run, with just short bursts of WOT. But thats just my experience.

WILL
I also have noticed that and really like that idea, with the speeds of the smaller boats cruising between 35-50 MPH for 95% of the run with short burst at WOT. This way you have more boats entering that wouldn't of entered normally and boat owners don't have to drive their boats at WOT. It would also be safer and save on expensive repairs if you try to push it at WOT for a prolonged period. If you detonate a drive or an engine, you will not likely to enter again.

Quick Reply: 55 MPH Group in Poker Runs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.