55 MPH Group in Poker Runs

Notices

55 MPH Group in Poker Runs

Old 03-11-2009, 09:38 AM
NorTechNorth.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 55 MPH Group in Poker Runs

I just got off the phone with Carl Mcbride, the Performance Boat Club of Canada president. He told me that the club is introducing a new class this year designed to allow people to poker run in a more relaxed environment and not be as hard on their equipment. The 55 mph group is intended for boat owners with boats that have the capability of running anywhere from 55 mph to over 100 mph. 55mph is a very comfortable cruising speed for all club members and also lets members take in more of the beautiful scenery the area has to offer. Dave P from the New Jersey Club offered some great advice on this class which has taken off in a big way there. Sounds like a great idea to me!

Have any of the board members ran in the 55 mph group in Jersey or elsewhere?

Last edited by Double R Performance; 03-11-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well to be honest with you, almost all the PR's I have ever been to most run 35-50mph for 95% of the run, with just short bursts of WOT. But thats just my experience.

WILL
Old 03-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Double R Performance
I just got off the phone with Carl Mcbride, the Performance Boat Club of Canada president. He told me that the club is introducing a new class this year designed to allow people to poker run in a more relaxed environment and not be as hard on their equipment. The 55 mph group is intended for boat owners with boats that have the capability of running anywhere from 55 mph to over 100 mph. 55mph is a very comfortable cruising speed for all club members and also lets members take in more of the beautiful scenery the area has to offer. Dave P from the New Jersey Club offered some great advice on this class which has taken off in a big way there. Sounds like a great idea to me!

Smart....very smart. I have always thought that a designated speed group would be popular. Very similar to the 55mph group but actually set a running speed that everybody in the group could agree to. (55...60...70....100...whatever) Dont treat it like a speed restriction but have club members agree to the speed and run together throughout the run. To me, there is nothing better than running with a big group of boats.(except maybe running PAST a big group of boats)
Old 03-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sellsman11
To me, there is nothing better than running with a big group of boats.(except maybe running PAST a big group of boats)

I guess the that would be the MTI 155 mph group.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Registered

That might also open it up to people with slower boats that are intimidated to run in poker runs, for fear of not being fast enough.

The motorcycle runs I have done have last bike out and last bike in time set. Participants do the run at there own pace. This also creates a steady flow of business through out the day for the supporting establishments.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:19 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Jammin on the James has split the pack mostly because of the number of boats and have called them the 65 and over vs 65 and under groups. (not enforced, just splitting the pack).

All the runs we've done in this region I'm running around the 50-55mph speed except for maybe when the helo drops in and we'll hammer down for a mile or 2......I've never seen a reason to "race" during these events as my enjoyment is running with a group of boats and the party afterwards are what I'm entering the event for in the first place.....

Jammin gives NO prizes or recognition for fastest, first boat to any stops and encourages anyone to enter anything. (we usually see a couple 22-24 ft donzi's, Baja's, and other small boats that have just as much a blast as the rest of us)
Old 03-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I guess the that would be the MTI 155 mph group.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Registered

Hey we are talking CANADA here - maybe it should read Over 55 yrs and Under 55yrs !!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 10:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

It's a great idea Peter for a few reasons. At FMO we usually have enough boats to have 2 or sometimes even 3 groups based on their capabilities. When there is a slow group it encourages smaller boats to come out and join us who may be otherwise intimidated by the "big dogs". We feel the future of the sport depends on including the smaller boats. I've seen more than one these (nameless) smaller boats sold or traded in for a Nor Tech or other like boat. Good for the boat builders as well.
Then there is increased safety etc. which we all have a stake in.
I look forward to running with you guys this summer in the over 55 MPH club.
Bob
Old 03-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good, and interesting idea.

Just curious, but why does this have to be "set up" in the first place? There shouldn't have to be a designated group, to allow people to cruise? If you don't want to go fast, then don't go fast?

It's a good idea, because clearly not enough people can "do their own thing" without the club having to hold their hand and change parts of the event. It's getting sad seeing more people every year needing someone to tell them how to be responsible, or how to have fun at an event. Clubs are having to go to the trouble of setting up different classes all together, just so people don't feel "intimidated" by others that choose to run faster, or drive beyond their limits due to lack of self control?

Just get some buddies to run with, and cruise your own speed people? Who cares if you want to run 50-60, but some others want to run 120? You paid the entry fee, so run how ever slow or fast you want?

Quick Reply: 55 MPH Group in Poker Runs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.