Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Well, it doesn't look good.... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/20466-well-doesnt-look-good.html)

LakeRacer 03-20-2002 02:13 PM

Originally posted by cashmoney
Well this a good thread. lots of bad information on both sides.

Lakeracer Let me post about human evolution before supercrash chimes in , Human evolution has all but stopped because we keep the "weaker humans" alive.
You will never find a pack of lions or any other animal keeping their "retards" or deformed offspring , or just the weak one of the bunch alive. therefore the strong always survive to mate.
Dean and Spitfire , lets all get along.Only one can be alfa male:)

At least you agree that we are humans! And that separates us from the animals. And we are above the animals. I'm not saying manatee be damned...but we come first.

CigDaze 03-20-2002 02:17 PM

Not choosing sides here , but I must post in defense of supercrash..Baja , you said nobody is even remotely convinced of your value or worth as a person , now that is some tuff talk , with no point.And supercrash from what I have read is very educated , And you put lives of humans above animals..humans are animals.
I guess what I'm saying is that you guys really make supercrash look smart with your missinformed posts , And childish bashing.I for one can see the "value" of a different opinion on any subject , whether he is right or wrong he is adding to the debate

No one is debating supergenius's shear brilliance and education level. He is certainly well read and know's what he's talking about. However, the value added is minimal. I fail to understand his presence on this thread. Jeb Bush, I mean come on...Go back and reread.

Every time Dean has something to say, sc is right there behind him spouting off in tangent directions. This is about Dean's and other FL residents fight for leglislation.

If you would like to live like an animal, you're more than welcome as well. I'm not going to stop you.

LakeRacer 03-20-2002 02:20 PM

Not choosing sides here , but I must post in defense of supercrash..Baja , you said nobody is even remotely convinced of your value or worth as a person , now that is some tuff talk , with no point.And supercrash from what I have read is very educated , And you put lives of humans above animals..humans are animals.
I guess what I'm saying is that you guys really make supercrash look smart with your missinformed posts , And childish bashing.I for one can see the "value" of a different opinion on any subject , whether he is right or wrong he is adding to the debate

whoops, spoke too soon.

TulsaLarry 03-20-2002 04:36 PM

Lookout New York and beyond:

Chessie the manatee is seen again!

A Florida manatee named Chessie is perhaps the most famous and well traveled manatee along the US Atlantic coast. Radio tagged and tracked by the US Geological Survey's Sirenia Project, he gained media fame in the summer of 1995 by swimming past the mid-Atlantic states, through New York City, and all the way to Rhode Island, further than any manatee had been known to venture. After returning to Florida for the winter, he again wandered north as far as Virginia where he was last seen in 1996.

LakeRacer 03-20-2002 04:52 PM

In a post above it has been argued that my "being/existence" is now equal to that of animals. I am an animal! I'll agree to that!

I'll be darned. No matter how hard I try, I still think, reason, and comprehend like a human. :D

CigDaze 03-20-2002 05:00 PM

Originally posted by LakeRacer
In a post above it has been argued that my "being/existence" is now equal to that of animals. I am an animal! I'll agree to that!

I'll be darned. No matter how hard I try, I still think, reason, and comprehend like a human. :D

You got it, Buddy!
I think, therefore I am....NOT: I am, therefore I think.

;) :D :cool:

kingpin 03-20-2002 05:24 PM

Cashmoney........we put lives of humans above animals......YES, to the benefit of your children who are educated by teachers not manatees, to the benefit of your mother & father who are cared for by skilled practitioners not dogs or cats.

WE are all animals to a certain degree , some have the ability to make contributions impacting health & education to name a couple, others have the ability to fetch, and some the ability to look pretty & fancy swimming in the water.

Where do you & I fit in??

ForrestC 03-20-2002 05:32 PM

Jeb and manatees

Jeb may not be quite as friendly to the boating industry as one might think. Here are a few excerpts from the "The Ledger" dated 7/27/2000 as found on MyFlorida.com:

One of the counties that doesn't have a manatee-protection program is Sarasota County. And, as it happened, that's the home of the Sarasota Yacht Club, which wanted to add 24 slips to its 84-slip marina.

It was just the hammer Gov. Jeb Bush needed to drive home his point Tuesday. "There's an endangered species that's close to being extinct in Florida waters, and I don't want to be part of that," said Bush. "It's my favorite mammal."

Bush is so manatee-friendly that a manatee is named for him at Sea World. But, evidently, until Tuesday's Cabinet meeting, many people thought that was just for show. . .

. . . Bush's concern didn't endear him to the Florida Marine Contractors Association. Ed Day, executive director of the association, called Bush "grossly misinformed" and said the governor was "overreacting on the side of radical environmentalists." . . .

. . . "I'm sorry the manatee is his [Bush's] favorite mammal," Day went on to say. "Humans are my favorite mammal. Marinas and boat slips don't kill manatees. Irresponsible boaters do." . . .

Also found at MyFlorida.com is this article from the Florida Times-Union dated 3/27/2001:

TALLAHASSEE -- Caught in a broader battle over how best to protect manatees, Florida lawmakers are moving toward trying to crack down on speeding boaters.

Lawmakers are considering a plan to spend an extra $2 million next year to pay overtime costs for law-enforcement officers who patrol the state's waterways. At the same time, they are looking at doubling speeding fines to prevent boaters from hitting the endangered sea cows.

The proposals, which are backed by Gov. Jeb Bush, come as the state grapples with a lawsuit that charges it hasn't done enough to protect manatees. A state agency this week will consider a possible settlement that would lead to restrictions on boating in some waterways. . .

There is more if you care to search MyFlorida.com

It's no secret that pitting "reckless boaters" against the state's beloved sea cow is good for votes. That goes for legislators as well.

Dean, it's been an uphill battle on this issue long before I moved out of Brevard county back in 1986.

Best of luck!

boilerdaddy 03-20-2002 05:37 PM

Originally posted by supercrash

lakeracer........all things need to be protected even plants..we live in a very fragile environment..we can eat animals but not to the point of extinction..lets take a look at a simple food chain..

plankton,algae,and seaweed
get eaten by
manatees,mussels,barnacles,and snails
they get eaten by
crabs,small birds,and fish
they get eaten by
large birds,large fish and lakeracer

[/B]
Manatees get eaten by small birds? Simple food chain...yeah...

pullmytrigger 03-20-2002 05:59 PM

Cashmoney: From DAY ONE Dean has simply been pointing out the misinformation put out by the STM club and its members to suit their needs, I havnt had a problem following this thread whatsoever, and if your going to take a run at him you better have your ducks in a row or he'll make you look BAD........RE Spitfire. Then you have Supercrash,You have to explain to him time and time again that.......(They do not want the Manatee to disappear, that the biggest killer of Manatee is pollution, not hits from recreational boaters, that the most hits are fom tugs who are exempt from no wake etc etc.)..........The VERY NEXT POST sc explains to us a simple FOOD CHAIN and how if you remove one evrything falls apart.........AGAIN you feel you have to explain........read above in brackets.....Repeat this scenario over and over and throw in some "Jeb Bush" that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread whatsoever and people start to get frustrated and say........" Look,Why dont you just SHUT UP?"........Believe me, I can totally understand where Shore and BD are coming from, he's like the mouthy little brother where you feel like turning around and just poppin' him one........