Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Purchase deal went wrong. Need Advice (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/204853-purchase-deal-went-wrong-need-advice.html)

bustag 03-18-2009 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158 (Post 2823714)
This guy has built more reliable horsepower by accident than most people have on purpose. ????

I'm trying to understand this , So the seller was a engine bldr ? :cool:

Heres another link. I believe he still holds two world titles.

Few will dispute when it comes to engines his word is gospel.

http://www.superchevyshow.com/driver...trocoupe.shtml

sean stinson 03-18-2009 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by JasonSmith (Post 2823739)
:food-smiley-007::food-smiley-007:

Come On bro you pulled your link that was funny chit man

sean stinson 03-18-2009 11:52 AM

Anyway without knowing the block manufacturer......a 588 motor is 4.560 bore which is really starting to push the ragged edge!!!! 4.625 bore is the limit on most aftermarket blocks that are built for big cubic inch stuff but from what you are telling me you purchased the motors then had work done to them and the crack is an unique crack as to the way it is horizontial and not vertical in nature....That being said you own them no matter what you may think say or do they're all yours and unless you bribe a judge you dont have a foot to stand on in court!!!!

StillHaulin@63 03-18-2009 11:58 AM

For reference, I have no clue who Empire is, talked to him once on TBM years ago because he is local.

But I thought I would respond for two reasons.

As a general rule, us Socal peeps are down to earth, rational people. Don't lump us all into a group. I have heard crazy stories about midwest living (excessive drinking, kid neglect, wife swapping, $ scam artists, ect.). Do I assume everybody in the midwest is like that? No, so chill on the Left coast stereotypes.

Secondly, Mario at Socal Speed and Marine is my engine guy as well. A stand up guy, reasonable prices and complete honesty. He fixed an effed up engine rebuild for me after a few mechanics couldn't figure it out. He is just doing what his customer (Empire) requested, so leave him out of the conspiracy theory, just a hard worker building a business, supporting his family.

This just sounds like an unfortunate "used" deal, what matters is how the parties handle it, with professionalism. It is possible both sides are being honest, this could just be a bad situation....

good luck resolving this mess.......

sean stinson 03-18-2009 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by StillHaulin@63 (Post 2823827)
For reference, I have no clue who Empire is, talked to him once on TBM years ago because he is local.

But I thought I would respond for two reasons.

As a general rule, us Socal peeps are down to earth, rational people. Don't lump us all into a group. I have heard crazy stories about midwest living (excessive drinking, kid neglect, wife swapping, $ scam artists, ect.). Do I assume everybody in the midwest is like that? No, so chill on the Left coast stereotypes.

Secondly, Mario at Socal Speed and Marine is my engine guy as well. A stand up guy, reasonable prices and complete honesty. He fixed an effed up engine rebuild for me after a few mechanics couldn't figure it out. He is just doing what his customer (Empire) requested, so leave him out of the conspiracy theory, just a hard worker building a business, supporting his family.

This just sounds like an unfortunate "used" deal, what matters is how the parties handle it, with professionalism. It is possible both sides are being honest, this could just be a bad situation....

good luck resolving this mess.......

Hold on there pal I happen to be a SoCal person as well.....I did not lump you into anything and I didnt bash your guy at SoCal S & M either...so now that we are looking eye to eye here....Lets point out some things.....He bought used engines without due diligence, bad move #1...second from the way I read this he had work done to them after the cracks were found, if so, bad move #2....if they weren't discovered until after the work was done then you have a lot of room for finger pointing again not slamming anyone as SC S & M has been around for some time now. When the finger pointing starts you have an unique crack as it is around the cylinder not up and down another point that will become a very critical point in the provability of the case that he was defrauded. So at the end of the day I dont think he will have a leg to stand on!!!!!

Griff 03-18-2009 12:12 PM

Pretty sure they were Bow Tie blocks

StillHaulin@63 03-18-2009 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by sean stinson (Post 2823833)
Hold on there pal I happen to be a SoCal person as well.....I did not lump you into anything and I didnt bash your guy at SoCal S & M either...so now that we are looking eye to eye here....Lets point out some things.....He bought used engines without due diligence, bad move #1...second from the way I read this he had work done to them after the cracks were found, if so, bad move #2....if they weren't discovered until after the work was done then you have a lot of room for finger pointing again not slamming anyone as SC S & M has been around for some time now. When the finger pointing starts you have an unique crack as it is around the cylinder not up and down another point that will become a very critical point in the provability of the case that he was defrauded. So at the end of the day I dont think he will have a leg to stand on!!!!!

first off, the important stuff. Where in Socal are you? I am yanking my boat from storage at MDR and putting it up in Channel Islands (my kids miss the islands), I live in the west SF valley.

Second, you have me on the engine stuff as I have no clue. I was talking about general intent. I do not think Mario would be part of a setup to defraud the seller of anything, just doing what he requested by his customer. I must have missed that Mario already started engine work, then found these problems.

BTW, as Fred at Trick Marine (yes, i was a customer, got my chit though) has shown us, I am not insisting everything is clean and kosher here, just saying in my personal experience, Mario is as competent and honest as they come.

Can these motors not be fixed, how much is a replacement block?

Dominator Scott 03-18-2009 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by 36Tango (Post 2823492)
I am confused to what any of this matters? I am also very confused on the accuracy of your accusations. I would also guess that your lawyer would have told you not to spread all of your accusations on this open forum, if you have even taken this to one at all. Better yet, take this out of the forum, shut up, and take him to court! The one thing that I can assure you is that the courtroom will be stuffed full of people that have had dealings with him over the years ready to testify. Good luck with your endeavors.

Now, back to those super chillers..........how did that end up working out?

They were sold but not to me like I was told. Actually I am somewhat glad the deal went south on me now after seeing this thread. Plus Wayne Schaldenbrand of Sunsation Powerboats called me on Monday and we are working out possibly installing and XRT wind fairing on my Dominator. So the chillers might get put on the back burner considering I would much rather have that fairing on my boat.

StillHaulin@63 03-18-2009 12:29 PM

To clarify, just read the post where Mario started a rebuild on them. At the time, he outsourced my rebuild as well for ref.

So you have a point there Sean.

Again though, are these motors a complete loss here, or is something salvageble?

sean stinson 03-18-2009 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by StillHaulin@63 (Post 2823841)
first off, the important stuff. Where in Socal are you? I am yanking my boat from storage at MDR and putting it up in Channel Islands (my kids miss the islands), I live in the west SF valley.

Second, you have me on the engine stuff as I have no clue. I was talking about general intent. I do not think Mario would be part of a setup to defraud the seller of anything, just doing what he requested by his customer. I must have missed that Mario already started engine work, then found these problems.

BTW, as Fred at Trick Marine (yes, i was a customer, got my chit though) has shown us, I am not insisting everything is clean and kosher here, just saying in my personal experience, Mario is as competent and honest as they come.

Can these motors not be fixed, how much is a replacement block?

I lived in the OC for years and still have a place in Palm Springs....Haven't been in the OC since 02.....I know most of the OG SCOPE members and have been around so if you want to check my background go ahead as matter of fact why dont you ask the OSO members if I am a newbie because maybe I really just am a rookie.....And again I never stated that Mario did anything wrong right or indifferent so lets get that on the table but I do know a few things about engines and a little bit about boats since lets not sit here and cross swords or dicks.....I will stick with my humble opinion that empire doesnt have a leg to stand on....replacement blocks are all over the place if they so choose to go there!!!!