Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Single engine V - NXT drive? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/204901-single-engine-v-nxt-drive.html)

Oh Deere 03-17-2009 03:54 PM

I have the 32 Velocity with single 700 application. The biggest issue was prop selection. Merc had no props for test to meet a single application (17-18" Diameter, 29-31" Pitch). Everything out there was for twin application in the range of 36 to 40 Pitch. At the time we started testing, Merc had gone to full CNC, and they claimed to have scrapped all of the old cast props. Also, they did not have the offeset skeg, so we had a slight wedge welded on the skeg to counter the torque(which was not that bad). We started high with the X and brought the prop shaft down to 1" above the bottom with spacers. I am curently running a Merc 5 blade, 16 degree rake, 30 " pitch, 17" Diameter. At the time, Merc was not offering the 18 degree rake, which would have been better for that boat, so the prop has been modified by BBlades to give more bow lift. the boat runs mid 80's in fresh water. Have seen better than that with light load in salt. Have one more slight modification for the prop this spring which whould bring 1-2 MPH. The boat is a relatively large full cabin boat, so the numbers are not too bad. Handling is fantastic with the modifications to bring more bow lift.

Oh Deere 03-17-2009 09:03 PM

I forgot to mention that there were also issues with the skegs not being long enough. Merc has taken care of that. We had a few times early on when testing props where you could feel the boat begin to walk sideways when it was trimmed out, due to the short skeg with a big blade. Not a problem now at all. I would go for it if you can. It is a nice package.

Mange 03-18-2009 07:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
In Sweden we don't need a fancy g*yboat for a NXT-package... hahahaha.
I think the owner loves his boat pretty much...

30ft Great american concept's

//Mange

Magic Medicine 03-18-2009 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mange (Post 2823650)
In Sweden we don't need a fancy g*yboat for a NXT-package... hahahaha.
I think the owner loves his boat pretty much...

30ft Great american concept's

//Mange

Sorry but that reminds me on some of the guys running 5k rims on a $200 car. :party-smiley-004:

baja bailey 03-18-2009 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine (Post 2823666)
Sorry but that reminds me on some of the guys running 5k rims on a $200 car. :party-smiley-004:

:D

tblrklakemo 03-18-2009 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 2821600)
I didnt know about the "banned part" -Ill bet coopers pist. I know they got like 4MPH out of it after all their tweaking.

Uncle Dave

I think article said they would test with one imco or teague drive, then race with another.....just couldnt make them last, and this drive was the answer.

CB-BLR 03-18-2009 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine (Post 2823666)

Talk about a sleeper....
I bet it is paid for.

:grinser010:

Chris

Mange 03-18-2009 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by CB-BLR (Post 2823809)
Talk about a sleeper....
I bet it is paid for.

Hi Chris,

Yeep it's paid for. It's a doctor who owns it. Had a 510ci SC 750hp before but just wanted any newer engine and drive. He loves to run the boat so I think thats the main thing here. We do not talk about a pink kozzie runner here...

Pete B 03-18-2009 12:38 PM

The drive was banned in part due in part to keep costs down,
the SVL boats all run 525's with bravo based drives. It is the most competitive class in offshore racing! If you turn too hard, yes you might spin out, and break off a drive, all the teams know this and thats the fine line between winning or ending up on the rope getting towed in.

They could still run the boat with the NXT in Class 3.

realityslap 03-18-2009 02:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by CB-BLR (Post 2821396)
Has anyone seen or heard of, a single engine V hull with an NXT drive, and how well did it work?

I saw the cover of Performance Boat magazine showing a Nordic ski boat with the 700sci and the NXT. 93mph seems kinda slow for a 21ft boat with 700hp. I am wondering how the NXT drive is working out. Thinking it might be slow when it is run fully submerged like that.

What was the prop-shaft depth in relationship to the keel measurement.

Chris

Adrenaline built a V30 with a 700/NXT package than ran about 95 and handled very well.