Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Single engine V - NXT drive? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/204901-single-engine-v-nxt-drive.html)

CB-BLR 03-14-2009 09:54 PM

Single engine V - NXT drive?

Has anyone seen or heard of, a single engine V hull with an NXT drive, and how well did it work?

I saw the cover of Performance Boat magazine showing a Nordic ski boat with the 700sci and the NXT. 93mph seems kinda slow for a 21ft boat with 700hp. I am wondering how the NXT drive is working out. Thinking it might be slow when it is run fully submerged like that.

What was the prop-shaft depth in relationship to the keel measurement.

Chris

tblrklakemo 03-14-2009 09:58 PM

more than a couple....there is a 32 veloctiy for sale with one. A lavey craft race boat too. If im not mistaken, prop selection WAS the issue....not now.

Uncle Dave 03-15-2009 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by CB-BLR (Post 2821396)
Has anyone seen or heard of, a single engine V hull with an NXT drive, and how well did it work?

I saw the cover of Performance Boat magazine showing a Nordic ski boat with the 700sci and the NXT. 93mph seems kinda slow for a 21ft boat with 700hp. I am wondering how the NXT drive is working out. Thinking it might be slow when it is run fully submerged like that.

What was the prop-shaft depth in relationship to the keel measurement.

Chris

I get the impression that its good for doubles but in single engine apps there are handling issues due to the shape of the lower.

Lavey pulled the NXT drive off their race boat.

Uncle Dave

stripp 03-15-2009 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 2821445)
I get the impression that its good for doubles but in single engine apps there are handling issues due to the shape of the lower.

Lavey pulled the NXT drive off their race boat.

Uncle Dave

Lavey pulled the NXT off the race boat because it has been banned from the 525 class. Really upset Kevin Cooper because he spent a great deal of time and money getting the setup right.

There was an issue originally with singles. The prop would blow out due to the case design and the amount of torque steer. It could easily be resolved with a welded on torque tab. They have permanently resolved the issue with the new lower unit design that has an aero shaped skeg that is much more efficient then a welded on torque tab.

Other then the "blow out" issue, at least on our boat, I am really impressed with the drive. One of my original concerns was low speed driveability especially in a single engine cat. It drives very well at both high speed and low speed. You really can't tell that you don't have a bravo on it once it is on plane.

Hope this helps.

Scott B 03-15-2009 10:34 AM

Somewhere I read, and an engineer in the Merc booth in Miamuh confirmed, they have a new skeg design for single NXT boats..

Edit: what he said above :) :)

Uncle Dave 03-15-2009 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by stripp (Post 2821528)
Lavey pulled the NXT off the race boat because it has been banned from the 525 class. Really upset Kevin Cooper because he spent a great deal of time and money getting the setup right.

There was an issue originally with singles. The prop would blow out due to the case design and the amount of torque steer. It could easily be resolved with a welded on torque tab. They have permanently resolved the issue with the new lower unit design that has an aero shaped skeg that is much more efficient then a welded on torque tab.

Other then the "blow out" issue, at least on our boat, I am really impressed with the drive. One of my original concerns was low speed driveability especially in a single engine cat. It drives very well at both high speed and low speed. You really can't tell that you don't have a bravo on it once it is on plane.

Hope this helps.

I didnt know about the "banned part" -Ill bet coopers pist. I know they got like 4MPH out of it after all their tweaking.

<If I were him Id move over to the new Ilmor Indy as soon as it gets certified by popra and OSS>

I got my information straight from Jeff Camire on the handling issues and in the tirio of on line forums it seems to be well known that the lower causes a problem.

Interesting that a company with the resources that mercury has get get such a major thing that wrong out of the gate.

How does that work? Do they replace the lower for N/C?
How about the guys that welded the piece on? Do they pay for that?

Or is this a case of the early buy in guys got hosed?

Uncle Dave

damdonzi 03-15-2009 12:08 PM

There was a blurb in Powerboat or one of the boating magazine about the NXT now being offered with a cambered skeg for single engine applications about 3 months if memory serves me correct. Page 23 of the PDF in this link:

http://www.mercurymarine.com/_media/...acing_2009.pdf

baja bailey 03-15-2009 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by damdonzi (Post 2821605)
There was a blurb in Powerboat or one of the boating magazine about the NXT now being offered with a cambered skeg for single engine applications about 3 months if memory serves me correct. Page 23 of the PDF in this link:

http://www.mercurymarine.com/_media/...acing_2009.pdf

You are right the blurb was in powerboat mag, I remember reading it recently.