496 HO mods....best bang for the buck. >

496 HO mods....best bang for the buck.

Notices

496 HO mods....best bang for the buck.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
They sound great, they look great, on a stock 496 they don't do chit, its a waste of money. The 496 just doesn't need the extra cooling, and air flow.

Trust me it would be easy to prove me wrong, put it on the dyno with cast manifolds, then put the headers on, change nothing???

Go to the link that bobl posted above, he did some dyno's with stock, stock turulators removed, Dana's, and lightning's....pretty interesting stuff. It did gain some MPH and about 21 HP.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Registered

Baja man,

That was with the CMI's
Old 03-24-2009, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baja_man
Go to the link that bobl posted above, he did some dyno's with stock, stock turulators removed, Dana's, and lightning's....pretty interesting stuff. It did gain some MPH and about 21 HP.
Well CHIT, I am proven wrong, I AM VERY IMPRESSED THAT A SHOP DID A REAL COMPARISON,

I stand corrected, NEW HEADERS WILL RESULT IN 1mph gain maybe 1.5 at best. or 21hp. and how much do they cost???????

Let me make it clear, I love tube headers, over cast, and in many applicationthey result in great gains just not in a stock 496.

WILL
Old 03-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Registered

Well CHIT, I am proven wrong, I AM VERY IMPRESSED THAT A SHOP DID A REAL COMPARISON,

I stand corrected, NEW HEADERS WILL RESULT IN 1mph gain maybe 1.5 at best. or 21hp. and how much do they cost???????

Let me make it clear, I love tube headers, over cast, and in many applicationthey result in great gains just not in a stock 496.

WILL

I think the Dana's are around $2300??
Old 03-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Registered

WILL
Have to agree CMI's are not worth the coin on the 496, I personally know I person who installed with no gain. I have also seen them work really well on non 496 applications.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

[QUOTE=BAJA WILL;2827826]They sound great, they look great, on a stock 496 they don't do chit, its a waste of money. The 496 just doesn't need the extra cooling, and air flow.

Trust me it would be easy to prove me wrong, put it on the dyno with cast manifolds, then put the headers on, change nothing???[/QUOT

I concur. I was very disapointed. No top end increase. I want to tell myself that there might be more mid-range but I think it is wishful thinking. I sent an e-mail to "Teague On Tech" at Powerboat Magazine to question his claims of speed and power increases but of course it wasn't printed. I have a 2005 Donzi 22C.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=thirdchildhood;2827992]
They sound great, they look great, on a stock 496 they don't do chit, its a waste of money. The 496 just doesn't need the extra cooling, and air flow.

Trust me it would be easy to prove me wrong, put it on the dyno with cast manifolds, then put the headers on, change nothing???[/QUOT

I concur. I was very disapointed. No top end increase. I want to tell myself that there might be more mid-range but I think it is wishful thinking. I sent an e-mail to "Teague On Tech" at Powerboat Magazine to question his claims of speed and power increases but of course it wasn't printed. I have a 2005 Donzi 22C.
CMI's or Dana's?
Old 03-25-2009, 02:41 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Where's my SPEED!?

JustMercMe:

Your reply is appreciated, but you are into strange mod ideas on your Donzi, but that is your call.
As for a blue motor, save your money and use our 496 upgrades, I guess you are not familar with our products or results. Just ask a few others here on OSO and in the industry. You or We at Raylar can make a 496 do anything a blue motor can do for a hell of a lot less money with as good reliability. You might want to visit our website at www.raylarengine.com and catch up on 496 possibilities.

As for the headers and header manifold horsepower increases both BOb at Full Throttle and we at Raylar have done the most extensive testing and comparisons and I can tell you the Dana's at about $2500 a kit are the best "Bang for the Buck" and add about 30-40HP depending on 496 engine type and configuration and CMI's, Lightnings, Hardin and Kieth Eikerts will do the same for about $2K more.
For those boaters who saw no improvements in top end speed remember that unless the power addtion will let you spin your existing prop (hopefully propped correctly) up in rpms without hitting the rev-limiter or going up slightly in pitch on the prop, you are not going to see an increase in top speed. Remember top speeds are a result of more power spinning more pitch with the same slip to higher rpms for more speed.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 03-25-2009, 05:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raylar
JustMercMe:

Your reply is appreciated, but you are into strange mod ideas on your Donzi, but that is your call.
As for a blue motor, save your money and use our 496 upgrades, I guess you are not familar with our products or results. Just ask a few others here on OSO and in the industry. You or We at Raylar can make a 496 do anything a blue motor can do for a hell of a lot less money with as good reliability. You might want to visit our website at www.raylarengine.com and catch up on 496 possibilities.

As for the headers and header manifold horsepower increases both BOb at Full Throttle and we at Raylar have done the most extensive testing and comparisons and I can tell you the Dana's at about $2500 a kit are the best "Bang for the Buck" and add about 30-40HP depending on 496 engine type and configuration and CMI's, Lightnings, Hardin and Kieth Eikerts will do the same for about $2K more.
For those boaters who saw no improvements in top end speed remember that unless the power addtion will let you spin your existing prop (hopefully propped correctly) up in rpms without hitting the rev-limiter or going up slightly in pitch on the prop, you are not going to see an increase in top speed. Remember top speeds are a result of more power spinning more pitch with the same slip to higher rpms for more speed.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
I would not call those mods strange. A number of folks have done similar with their 22's. 80-85 is a good number for that hull. Any more becomes a bunch of work to drive. The hull has been taken to north of 100 but that required serious dialing in. You are spot on that 75 is about 3 mph fast for that combo. Yes, good steering is a must.

If he is running a stock X, a shorty will be the best bang for the boat hands down.

I totally agree that it will take some more hp to get well into the 80's. He can have Bblades cut on some props. If he gets lucky he MIGHT pick up 0.5mph at the cost of some good cruise speed. Since he already has a ringer for that combo, he is well past the point of eaking out small speed increments from playing with props, turbolators, air filters and all of those tricks that claim to get more speed.

BTW, 22 Datona seemed to do it right. That is one of the nicest looking 496's I have seen. If it runs like it looks, that would be a nice package to gets some real fast numbers out of that 22.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

My boat is near identical to JustMercMe's. Mine is an '05 22C w/496HO and his is an '06. His is a GT but the "X" is the same. Some of you are slightly underestimating the top end of these boats stock. I bought my bought new and it is my first IO. After a little break in and seat time I was hitting 73.5 with ease. After a little more seat time I could get her up to 74-75 but with a little too much trim. I plunked down nearly 5g for the CMIs based largely on claims from Bob Teague, whom I greatly respect, and saw no gain. Then after a bit of testing I settled on a 28p Bravo 1 from Mercury Racing (labbed). This was a little too much so I figured it would be a good time to go with the shorty. So on went the Imco -2" shorty and wham, a solid 3 mph gain and rpms just shy of the limiter! Ray, if you read this, since I already have the CMIs, where would the Raylar kit put me? I realize a prop change would be needed. How does the 496 compare to the 525EFI as far as durability goes? Basically I would like to know if the Raylar kit and prop change would get me consistantly over 80 mph and still be reliable. Oh, and of course my speed numbers are GPS.

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 03-25-2009 at 06:58 AM.

Quick Reply: 496 HO mods....best bang for the buck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.