Powerboat P1 Austrians and Italians Team Up

Notices

Powerboat P1 Austrians and Italians Team Up

Old 03-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerboat P1 Austrians and Italians Team Up

The Bull and the Stallion- Bohinc Teams Up with Cangiano and OSG

Hannes Bohinc, one of the world’s most celebrated powerboat racers, will return to the top flight in 2009 when he joins the Giancarlo Cangiano and the Italian OSG Racing Team, the 2006 P1 Evolution Class World Champion, for an all-out assault on the Powerboat P1 World Championship.

It is an intriguing partnership for two powerboating heavyweights, both with a steely determination to win and a strong personality to match. Austrian Bohinc, the 2005 P1 World Champion, nick-named “The Bull,” last competed for the world title in 2007 while Cangiano has remained an ever present competitor, following his 2006 victory with second place and third place in 2007-8. The pairing will race under the Italian OSG flag in the SNAV-sponosred Outerlimits SV-43, powered by twin Mercury Racing 760 HP engines.

“We recently tested the boat on Lake Como and I was very impressed with the engine/boat combination, especially the responsiveness and acceleration out of turns,” explained Bohinc, whose achievements spanning two decades have been in diesel powered boats. “I am happy to be joining OSG. Giancarlo is a gentleman and an accomplished powerboat racer. He does things the right way with passion and excellence. It promises to be a very exciting season.”

After his success in the 2008 Round Britain, and with his appetite for world class endurance racing rekindled, Bohinc had originally decided to race his own Fabio Buzzi-built boat, Wettpunkt.com, in the English classics until speaking with Cangiano in January.

“Giancarlo knew I was preparing to go racing; He told me that he needed ballast on one side of his boat to keep it flat in the water,” joked the robust Bohinc, “It was the invitation of a gentleman and I said yes.”

The Naples,Italy-based OSG Racing Team, is respected for its achievements, style and competitive nature and the expertise and spirit of Bohinc is certain to provide further impetus on and off the water.

“It will be a very tough and competitive season,” confirms Cangiano, OSG team owner and throttleman, “but we both know what it takes to win at this level. This arrangement also makes financial sense in such difficult economic times and we are excited to be co pilots after competing against each other for many years. The first race can’t come soon enough!”

The Powerboat P1 World Championship, comprising 10 races over 5 events, starts in Valletta, Malta May 9-10. For more information visit www.powerboatp1.com.
Attached Thumbnails Powerboat P1 Austrians and Italians Team Up-bohinc-cangiano.jpg