Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
lesson on twin stepp take off >

lesson on twin stepp take off

Notices

lesson on twin stepp take off

Old 03-28-2009, 11:36 AM
No Comment
VIP Member

Location: This post copyright, Packinair Inc. All rights reserved.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just stick 1000# of sand in the bow.. that should fix it
Old 03-28-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by boatnt
sorry for the stupid question, but what are blow off vents?
On
Old 03-28-2009, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by boatnt
sorry for the stupid question, but what are blow off vents?
On a step bottom boat on the rear pad there would be two 1/2 or 3/4 brass thru hull openings that runs through your engine compartment out the transom or sides, They will have shut valves so if they leak you can shut them down. What happens on take off excess air gets trapped in the padded area and causes excessive prop slip and blow out. The Blow offs get the air thats trapped out from under the boat and reduce the slip from start.
you will see on the back of a lot of number 6 Drives these 2" black tubes coming off the back of the drive and they come up over the drive, this does the same it release the excess air from a step bottom boat and reduces prop slip. Helps the boat get on plane faster.
Thats why I asked what kind of boat and does she have a pad on the rear of the boat.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by packinair
just stick 1000# of sand in the bow.. that should fix it
actually if you read the thread,I need to add the sand in the back so I could keep the stern in the water.

thanks for the reply
Old 03-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shanghied Again
On a step bottom boat on the rear pad there would be two 1/2 or 3/4 brass thru hull openings that runs through your engine compartment out the transom or sides, They will have shut valves so if they leak you can shut them down. What happens on take off excess air gets trapped in the padded area and causes excessive prop slip and blow out. The Blow offs get the air thats trapped out from under the boat and reduce the slip from start.
you will see on the back of a lot of number 6 Drives these 2" black tubes coming off the back of the drive and they come up over the drive, this does the same it release the excess air from a step bottom boat and reduces prop slip. Helps the boat get on plane faster.
Thats why I asked what kind of boat and does she have a pad on the rear of the boat.
thanks for taking the time to explain how blow off valves work!

the boat is a 2003 powerquest revenge with a small pad
Old 03-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boat teck
this may be just another stubd queston and may not mean much hear with theas boats but has any dealer R&R the drives lately ? at the rear trim ram pin with the black caps covering the nut's there is a white plastic spacer in between the nut hard wear that could be installed wrong and it will change the drive trim angel a bit not leting the drive tuck in as far.they do this becouse there is a differents between bravo 1 & 3.and some guys will change that around by not knowing where to put it.on bravo 1 the spacers need to be installed with the grove part pointing a way from the bow of the boat or a way from the boat in general. well i'm shur it's fine but if not it a easy thing to look at any ways.it dose sound like the x is high but that is where the top speeds come in.you would think the manufacturer,s would by now say to you oweners to install lower unit drive spacers by now to help stop the blow out. merc dose sell them spacers also.just an idea is all this is.good luck and have fun this year boating.

I've had that exact thing happen after having a drive worked on with the Gun. It definitely can be overlooked, and made my boat cavitate like hell until it was swtched back.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boat teck
this may be just another stubd queston and may not mean much hear with theas boats but has any dealer R&R the drives lately ? at the rear trim ram pin with the black caps covering the nut's there is a white plastic spacer in between the nut hard wear that could be installed wrong and it will change the drive trim angel a bit not leting the drive tuck in as far.they do this becouse there is a differents between bravo 1 & 3.and some guys will change that around by not knowing where to put it.on bravo 1 the spacers need to be installed with the grove part pointing a way from the bow of the boat or a way from the boat in general. well i'm shur it's fine but if not it a easy thing to look at any ways.it dose sound like the x is high but that is where the top speeds come in.you would think the manufacturer,s would by now say to you oweners to install lower unit drive spacers by now to help stop the blow out. merc dose sell them spacers also.just an idea is all this is.good luck and have fun this year boating.
Well I just checked the trim limit blocks and they were on backwards,once I switched them the outdrives lowered about an inch,hopefully that will do it,I will let you guys know the results next time I go out.

Thanks for all the replys!
Old 03-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend had a 34' PQ that also has the 2 large steps. His drives had spacers on it when he bought it. Possibly for this very reason?
Old 03-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Registered

So the two long vertical tubes I saw on the drives on the 42 Fountain at Cleveland were the blow off vents? They sat directly above the props and just looked like to tubes that went vertical and would stick out the water. The sales guy said they were to venitlate the props. But he made it sound like they provided air to the props so that the motors could get them rev'd up.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=4mulafastech;2831045]The reason is if the drives are tucked 'too' far at speed in a hard turn, it is more likely to spin-out/roll a twin stepped hull due to the added stern lift. I never have my drives tucked all the way in when turning (rule #1 of driving a stepped hull). QUOTE]

The drives should not be trimmed below level when turning at speed...period.

Quick Reply: lesson on twin stepp take off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.