Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   lesson on twin stepp take off (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/205671-lesson-twin-stepp-take-off.html)

RollWithIt 03-29-2009 04:36 PM

So the two long vertical tubes I saw on the drives on the 42 Fountain at Cleveland were the blow off vents? They sat directly above the props and just looked like to tubes that went vertical and would stick out the water. The sales guy said they were to venitlate the props. But he made it sound like they provided air to the props so that the motors could get them rev'd up.

omerta one 03-29-2009 05:47 PM

[QUOTE=4mulafastech;2831045]The reason is if the drives are tucked 'too' far at speed in a hard turn, it is more likely to spin-out/roll a twin stepped hull due to the added stern lift. I never have my drives tucked all the way in when turning (rule #1 of driving a stepped hull). QUOTE]

The drives should not be trimmed below level when turning at speed...period.

boatnt 03-29-2009 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain (Post 2831777)
A friend had a 34' PQ that also has the 2 large steps. His drives had spacers on it when he bought it. Possibly for this very reason?

like on reply#32 the bravo drives come with a spacer,the only difference is the location of the spaces,front or behind the ram bolt, on bravo 1 the spacer is located in front and on bravo 3 the spacer is behind,mine where reversed,wont know if thats my problem until I go out again.

can you think of a reason why your friends were reversed?

boatnt 03-29-2009 05:55 PM

[QUOTE=omerta one;2831857]

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech (Post 2831045)
The reason is if the drives are tucked 'too' far at speed in a hard turn, it is more likely to spin-out/roll a twin stepped hull due to the added stern lift. I never have my drives tucked all the way in when turning (rule #1 of driving a stepped hull). QUOTE]

great info thanks!

how do you find the neutral position on the outdrives on a boat?
do you start by leveling the boat trailer and then level the outdrive cavitation plate??

omerta one 03-29-2009 06:22 PM

Level the drive with the bottom of the boat and mark your trim indicator with a piece of colored tape.

boatnt 03-29-2009 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by omerta one (Post 2831884)
Level the drive with the bottom of the boat and mark your trim indicator with a piece of colored tape.

Just so I do this right,
the boat has a pad,do I take a long 2x4 or level and have 3 to 4 feet against the pad and level that to the cavitation plate on the outdrives?

and on turns never trim lower then that neutral position??

US1 Fountain 03-29-2009 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by boatnt (Post 2831860)
like on reply#32 the bravo drives come with a spacer,the only difference is the location of the spaces,front or behind the ram bolt, on bravo 1 the spacer is located in front and on bravo 3 the spacer is behind,mine where reversed,wont know if thats my problem until I go out again.

can you think of a reason why your friends were reversed?

No, I wasn't clear. The spacers were between the upper and lower housings, to put the prop in deeper. I think they were only 1" spacers. He never had any blowing out like you are experincing, so I'd have to assume the 1" spacers did the trick.

omerta one 03-29-2009 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by boatnt (Post 2831898)
Just so I do this right,
the boat has a pad,do I take a long 2x4 or level and have 3 to 4 feet against the pad and level that to the cavitation plate on the outdrives?

and on turns never trim lower then that neutral position??

Long 2x4, forget the pad, just level with the longest portion of the hull before the pad.

Do not trim below that when turning at speed.

4mulafastech 03-30-2009 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by omerta one (Post 2831857)

Yes, agreed. Thanks for clarifying.

BLee 03-30-2009 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by RollWithIt (Post 2831816)
The sales guy said they were to venitlate the props.

But he made it sound like they provided air to the props so that the motors could get them rev'd up.

That's what he meant by "ventilate". Race boats have been using them for years.