Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
My New Boat is here...5 Questions for OSO!!! >

My New Boat is here...5 Questions for OSO!!!

Notices

Old 02-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

1994 36' Warlock Cat just got here today from Daytona, FL. I don't know much about the boat at all. What I was told is that the engines are 575's, but I am going to rebuild them anyway so we'll see. This is my first Cat so please excuse some of the dumb questions. Here they are:

1) Does anyone know this boat? The story I got is that it was owned by Bruce Jennings, Former Owner of Warlock Powerboats, who lost the boat due to bankruptcy. I'm not sure if he was the owner of Warlock, but I do know he went bankrupt at one time because I bought it in his estate bankruptcy auction. The boat was registered in CA at one time, but his hanger where the boat was kept was in FL, So I have no history on the boat.

Please view the pics for these questions.

2) What drives are these? I cannot tell by just looking at them and they don't have many numbers on them.

3) I was thinking I should definately get rid of the second steering wheel. Wouldn't someones first reaction to a bad situation be to grab the steering wheel? I wanted to put a mic system in so maybe I'll put that in its place. Which side should the one wheel be on?

4) I've never had the type of trailer where it extends around the drives. Can I launch the boat off this kind of trailer or do I have to have it lifted off everytime I boat.

5) The Transmissions are B&M, but I thought they made blowers, not trannies? I have no idea if there is any truth to this or not, but was told that they are a 2 speed trans. I've never heard of this on a boat, is it right. How the hell does that work?

Any help would be great. I know its crazy to buy a boat not knowing the history, or even exactly what is in it...but it was a deal that couldn't be passed up. I can't wait till spring!!!
Attached Thumbnails My New Boat is here...5 Questions for OSO!!!-war1.jpg   My New Boat is here...5 Questions for OSO!!!-warlock2.jpg   My New Boat is here...5 Questions for OSO!!!-war5.jpg  

Old 02-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Registered

Default Re: My New Boat is here...5 Questions for OSO!!!

More Pics.
Attached Thumbnails My New Boat is here...5 Questions for OSO!!!-war3.jpg   My New Boat is here...5 Questions for OSO!!!-war4.jpg   My New Boat is here...5 Questions for OSO!!!-war6.jpg  

Old 02-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Registered

Last Ones
Attached Thumbnails My New Boat is here...5 Questions for OSO!!!-war7.jpg   My New Boat is here...5 Questions for OSO!!!-warlock4.jpg  
Old 02-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Registered

Forgot a Major Question.

1) Insurance I know it is going to be high compared to my V, but where can I get insurance for this boat??
Old 02-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why all the questions....are you telling us that you bought a boat and do not know what it is..........it better have been for free then
2-speed trannys had been built by B&M and damn good ones....flip of a switch...it's like going into overdrive
The motors look as though they should be more than 575's....theoutdrives look like speedmaster with cleaver props. Depending on the prop, it might take a bit to come up on plane (that's how mine ran with cleavers) but it will help on the top end

Insurance....one of the reasons we got rid of the cat. Besides always replacing broken parts.
BUT YOU CAN'T BEAT THE RIDE
Old 02-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gotime34
Forgot a Major Question.

1) Insurance I know it is going to be high compared to my V, but where can I get insurance for this boat??

first off congrats on the buy it's really sweet looking. about insurance it won't be that bad probably like 7-9k a year.those drives look like 3's. btw what's the deal with that WHITE POWDER on the starboard side

jr mike
Old 02-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

those engines for sure are not 575's there a lot bigger

jr mike
Old 02-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice looking boat. Don't even bother shopping insurance with the normal sources. Call Elton Porter Insurance Agency in Texas 713-772-2991. I am in Chicago and they helped. The policy is with Markel American.

Those B&M transmission are really a trick piece when they work. Big warning though. BIG!!! The transmission must be aligned perfectly or you will blow the pump in about 30 seconds. Very, very expensive fix. The crank shaft must be centered in the bellhousing. Have your engine builder do this. Adjustment is done with offset dowel pins. Since you are discussing pulling the engines make sure this is done when reinstalling the transmissions. The first gear is really only for low speeds as it is a low ratio gear. I shifted at around 40 mph. Pull back on throttle, shift and go. The boat would plane off really, really fast with low gear. Those transmissions are a problem with 1000hp. 575ci and blowers you are probably at the limit. If you blow a transmission replace them both with Hubers or Bams. I lost two of them before I gave up.

Cats sit on top of the trailer not in it like a vee, so you will not hit the drive guard when launching. The back of the boat floats up some when launching as well.

Lose the second wheel. Looks weird and could be dangerous.

Last edited by Brad Zastrow; 02-09-2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I noticed the blower pulleys do not align very well. Have the builder correct that. Maybe no big deal, but I do not like the idea of running the belt on each side of the pulley floating on the edges. Change the belts also. They do not last real long.
I do not know how anyone can tell the size of an engine by looking at it. Tall deck big blocks all look the same to me. Bore and stroke. So you are probably the size they told you. My guess is around 1000 hp depending on the boost from the blowers.

Last edited by Brad Zastrow; 02-09-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:19 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gotime34
Forgot a Major Question.

Give Sy Goldberg at http://totaldollarinsurance.com/ a call...
If he can't help you, he certainly can put you in the right direction.
Attached Images  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Quick Reply: My New Boat is here...5 Questions for OSO!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.