Notices

Milky Oil, Please Help

Old 04-03-2009, 03:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed some oil on the back of the boat, from the exhaust...does this mean the oil cooler probably? I heard when they leak they burn the oil out the exhaust pretty bad...
Old 04-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarabman
Could also be a leak in the innercooler. Procharger innercoolers were known for this problem for awhile.

I would look at head gaskets and check the innercooler.
I've had Prochargers intercoolers fail and make a lot of milky oil. It took about six oilchanges to get most of it out as well as running the engine with the fill cap off to let condensation out. Most marinas aren't looking at the intercoolers during winterizing.

Last edited by Sunshadow; 04-03-2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rodimus
I am brand new to the site guys, but I have a problem. I have a 23 foot 1997 Scarab. It has the 502 with procharger. I took it out this spring to just see how the winter had been on it. It ran and sounded fine, run around 78 mph on GPS not all she could do. Came back to dock and checked oil and noticed it was milky.

I thought it might be condensation, so I changed the oil a couple times and ran it, got milky again. I noticed a little hesitation on take off, could this be intake gasket. Overall performance is still good. May just haft to start with intake gasket and work to the heads and then intake.

One other thing, is I noticed that my flappers seemed to be worn out for my exhaust. Could it be reversion? Any help is greatly appreciated, love the site. I will post pics later.

Ive seen this kind of thing as well.
Mostly on otherwise stock engines that have had blowers "bolted on".

Get a leakdown test done-

if all is good there you can focus on flapper etc, but Id bet youve got a leaking head/intake gasket.

Uncle Dave
Old 04-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rodimus
I noticed some oil on the back of the boat, from the exhaust...does this mean the oil cooler probably? I heard when they leak they burn the oil out the exhaust pretty bad...
well it looks like you found the problem. good job now for the fun part is installing a new one and some more oil changes and hope for the best.good luck.