If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Boats:
    36' Apache Warrior
    Elkton, MD
    Quote Originally Posted by GLH View Post
    Do like in P-1 Dyno the mills and work on a weight to power ratio, take any equipment you want...

Correspondent Correspondent

I wish things were different, but significant sponsorship from any entity in marine industry for offshore racing is unlikely. When your choices are employing people or providing race support, you go with your employees.

But there are smart people involved in OSS and I'm sure they've thought outside the marine industry and are looking to lure non-endemic (i.e. nothing to do with marine) sponsorship dollars.

The most obvious problem is the economy. But even in a great economy, offshore racing (not matter how much we love it) is a very tough sell.

Rik is offline Offshoreonly Advertiser Rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BLee View Post

I'm not their accountant obviously, but it would be surprising if the "other" companies that compete with Merc are doing any better than they are, ESPECIALLY doing well enough to try filling Mercury's spot in racing.

Isn't Mercury pretty much the sole sponsor in SBI as well?
    Sorry, but things are not as bad for others as they are for Merc for the obvious reasons. For example, they have close to 31 boat companies that they acknowledge they own which are most likely down at this moment and then there are those that they have a heavy debt stake in that are not officially under Mercury's control.

Merc is the victim if their own success. They offered cheap and easy credit to those that could not afford it in order to gain market and at the same time control the market and now they are stuck with the debt. Sound familiar?

No one cried when they manipulated the market in this manner so hopefully no one will cry when they are a victim of their business practices

The P1 Model is successful directly because they have not let Merc control the rules and make the class a "Merc Only".

Viva P1!

VIP Member VIP Member Back4More's Avatar
    My Boats:
    353 Fastech
    Lake Michigan
    Be nice if they cut the overhead and made the product more competitively priced...other manufacturers seemed to have an easy way into that market.

Case in point
    HP1075SCI /SSM VI......$ 149,150.00
    Last edited by Back4More; 03-30-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Syracuse, New York
    does it surprise anyone?
    real sports/organization with a true cohesive platform are struggling...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12