What to expect out of a 496 CI

Notices

What to expect out of a 496 CI

Old 04-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 1,182 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Hey Rookie,
Do you recall what cam you ran in your 470's??? I think Jim and I were actually discussing your engines as I remember hearing about him doing some work for you on the board.

Let me know,
Thanks,
John
solid roller duration @ .050 252 / 264, lift 0.630" on a 108*.
I used my Barry Grant 750's and they were on the small side.

Last edited by Rookie; 04-03-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 1,473 Likes on 799 Posts
Default RE cam

thank you for sharing the specs with me. if you get a chance just let me know how well you liked it. likes / dislikes

once again,
thanks
john
Old 04-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 1,182 Likes on 564 Posts

Besides them being a solid roller with the little maintenance I like the cams. With my smaller carbs it idles surprisingly well, but it does have the presence that there is a respectable cam in there. I run Stainless Marine dry to the tips, jacketed TRS tails so I was not worried about reversion. With the heads that JimV hooked me up with I am very happy. I built these engines off of base Merc 425's with a dual plane manifold, and knowing that I have TRS drives. I really didn't want to build some big cube engines with huge torque to blow drives. (that will come later)

I have not had them to full power in the boat yet only on the dyno. I had some fuel delivery issues and didn't want to risk them. But so far what I have experienced with them is a night and day difference compared to my Merc 425's.