Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Just took delivery of my 2002 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/20596-just-took-delivery-my-2002-2500hd-duramax-allison-crew-cab.html)

BAD HTM SR 24 03-21-2002 12:07 AM

Just took delivery of my 2002 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab

I got so mad that i got out bidded on OffshoreBids.com for that 1100SC i had to go and buy something to make up for it:D . I drive by a large Chevy dealer every day and always glance and see if they have gotten a 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab.They finally got one yesterday morning,so i went and cleaned up my 2000 2500 LT, 4 wheel and went in to see if i could buy this truck at a descent price.After a 1 hour test drive i knew i had to have the new truck. I probably would of paid sticker on it ,thing drives excellent and the power is unreal.Dealer didnt know what the fuel mileage was,said it was to new of a motor:confused: .Does anyone know what kind of mileage to expect out of this truck.I am taking a 10 hr trip on saturday ,so iwill find out for sure then.I am going to put bigger tires on tomorrow night ,it comes with 245's on it.I will post some picks tomorrow.

candyman35 03-21-2002 12:25 AM

BAD HTM SR 24,

Congratulations! If you like the truck now, just wait until you tow with it. I have an 01 2500hd 4X4. I have been averaging 15.8 in the city. Your mileage will start out at 12.6 and continue to get better. It takes around 5,000 miles for the motor to loosen up.
I hate the 245's. There are some issues about going to bigger tires with the Allison. The dealer can reprogram the speedo but the shift points for the Allison get messed up. I have seen a few Dmax's driving around with 285's. They look sweet.

Go to one of the diesel sites and do a search on tire size and Dmax. You should be able to find some information out there.

Dan

BAD HTM SR 24 03-21-2002 12:36 AM

Dealer says it has a tow rating of 17,000 is that true.I havent had time to read the owners manual yet.Should tow my HTMSR24 pretty easy.What ratio did you get in your rear end.I have a 373 in mine,truck only runs 97mph,that kind of sucks.How about yours. Do you know the adress for any of those sites.

candyman35 03-21-2002 12:44 AM

I believe the tow rating is 14,600. The 3.73 was the only ratio available with the Dmax. I have heard from reliable sources that the top end is 97. The bigger tires would help that. I remember a post on OSO about larger tires voiding the warranty. Someone had asked a question about putting a lift kit on a Dmax.
Dan

BAD HTM SR 24 03-21-2002 12:50 AM

I think that chevrolet has finally stepped up to the plate with this truck.I only wish that i could put a plow on it.I wont put a lift kit on it but i definetely want to go with bigger tires.What color is your truck. Mine is the Charcoal with the LT package, dark charcoal interior.

candyman35 03-21-2002 12:59 AM

Mine is Pewter. I also went with the LT and dark charcoal interior. It pulls my 35' like its not there. The Allison down shifts when your coming to a stop and slows the rig down which should help brake life. This truck replaced a Ford with a 460 and a 4.10 rear gear. There is no comparison. I can't wait till they offer the Dmax in a Suburban. My wife will be getting a new truck.:D

BAD HTM SR 24 03-21-2002 01:04 AM

My wife wanted me to get a Suburban,but no Duramax so no suburban.Any word on how the 496's are holding up.They did have a 496 in one on the lot but i had my heart set on the dmax.Thanks for the info on the sites Chris i am going to check them out now.

Dono 03-21-2002 01:31 AM

Hey i just bought one also. I can't bring it home until i give them my down payment. I'm waiting for my pay off on my totaled dodge. Mine is black crew cab swb duramax/ allison. loaded. leather int. and the whole nine yards. I'm taking it directly the the 4x4 shop for a 6" lift and 33's. the guy that owns the shop has one with the same set up and no shifting trouble and claims the lift wont void the warranty. The bigger tires may void the allison warranty. I'll hang on to the 245's in case i need warranty work;) I cant wait to get that bad boy home. Sick of this rental truck they gave me.:mad:
there's a diesel forum just like oso and all these guys talk about is their duramax and the upgrades the've done. I think its called the diesel page.com

Mark in So. MD 03-21-2002 03:07 AM

Whew am i glad everyone else likes them. I signed the papers on mine but of course i was picky and had to have it just perfect so i ordered one. It has been 4 weeks and no call that it has come in yet. Darn it. O well, just wait some more:)

Jassman 03-21-2002 08:11 AM

Whats the deal with changing the 245s. GM on all their 3/4 tons puts only 245. Why. My Z-71 1/2 ton came with 265s, and I changed to 285, looks better , and then bought a Hypertech programmer and changed the speedo calibration along with fine tuning. I want to do that with my 3/4 ton Avalanche.