Oil out exhaust, oil cooler? >

Oil out exhaust, oil cooler?

Notices

Oil out exhaust, oil cooler?

Old 04-03-2009, 04:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil out exhaust, oil cooler?

I had the 1997 scarab with the 502 and procharger. I changed the oil and went to lake. Just idled around about 100 feet and pulled stick. I had gained about a quart of water and noticed oil had blown out the exhaust when I trailered it. Could this be the oil cooler? I have bought new intake and head gaskets, but didn't know if they would cause the oil out the exhaust. After engine was warmed up, when I attempted to put it in forward, the engine wanted to die. Oil cooler cause it to do that, or probably just the gaskets? How do you pressure test the oil cooler?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

It could easily be caused by bad intake gaskets.
Water in the oil is most likely not from the oil cooler. Oil psi should be quite a bit higher than water psi at idle and it could put oil into the exhaust water, but not vice versa.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:53 AM
Registered

I noticed my drive oil and power steering oil were both kinda low, could this cause the milk? How can I tell pressure test my intercooler on my procharger?
Old 04-12-2009, 04:53 AM
Registered

No your drive oil will not touch the engine oil at all, different system. your power steering does go to the oil cooler. I would think if your oil cooler was cracked in the right spot then you might loose p/s oil or the p/s pump would fill all the way up with water and just poor out but least likely to happen [imo]. If you oil cooler is craked then what would happen is the oil and water would mix in side the cooler and you will get water in the engine oil, also engine oil out the exhaust.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:00 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

This may be hard to tell with wet exhaust, but can you determine if the wter is coming from the exhaust gases or from the water mixing with the exhaust? Did you pull all teh plugs for inspection? Oil coolers can easily pump oil into the exhaust, but so can an internal engine problem. If possible, take a sample of the exhaust water before it enters the exhaust system. That may help determine where it is coming from.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:12 AM
Registered

any special tool to pressurize the oil cooler? I am hoping to have new head gaskets and intake gaskets on this week, if I can get enough time to finish up. Gonna flush out back into water and see what happens. Or should I go ahead and pressure test the oil cooler while I am at it? Never fooled with oil coolers, can it be pressure tested on boat or does it haft to be removed?
Old 04-12-2009, 05:46 AM
Registered

No special tool I know of. you could try this unhook the belt to the sea pump take off the too water hoses at each end of the cooler dry it out the best you can have some rags at each end of the cooler and start the engine for a few seconds and see if oil comes out the water side of the hose fiting, if it dose then it is cracked. this is the esayest way I could think of. I'M kind of lazy like that.

Last edited by Boat Tech; 04-12-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:27 AM
Registered

I feel you on that one...lol...I may try that, just didn't want to haft to take off...I am hoping gaskets fix, if not I will try it...one side of the intake was hard as hell to get loose, while the other was taken off easily with small ratchet.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:28 AM
Registered

also, was stock gm gasket and not felpro..may have caused a problem also.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rodimus
I feel you on that one...lol...I may try that, just didn't want to haft to take off...I am hoping gaskets fix, if not I will try it...one side of the intake was hard as hell to get loose, while the other was taken off easily with small ratchet.
I even have a lazyr way to try first unhook the too oil hoses then take off the easy hose kink the other hose get the garden hose poor water in the inlet hole with as much [psi] as you can and see if water comes out the oil holes. If it dose then it is bad. I could not go to sleep till I told you this one.Man as I get older i seam to find the easy way around things or the lazy way.for get the air pump with a gauge thing that is to hard to want to do at home. Let me know if any of this works so if some day i might need to do this myself at work. good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.