Notices

Water Pressure concerns?

Old 04-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pressure concerns?

I'm wondering if I should be concerned with with water pressure? I have crossovers with thermostats. I can see that the water circulates through the headers and mixes with the exhaust at the tips. I have also noticed that there are extra water lines that would normally bypass (from somewhere)and exit through the transom. These lines are disconnected, kinked and tied off so that water will not enter the bilge from the rear? I'm not sure where they would have connected. I don't have any water pressure gauges to tell me how much pressure the system is building. I don't seem to be having a problem, but I suppose when I see a problem it's too late. My uneducated guess is that a problem would be blown head gaskets. My guess is that the pumps are stock merc pumps. Can anyone help a guy who apparently doesn't know his azz from a hole in the ground?
Old 04-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Registered

What size are the water lines? Someone may have been running the headers with remote dumps (not mixing with the exhaust at all). is there one line per motor or two per motor? pics would help.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
What size are the water lines? Someone may have been running the headers with remote dumps (not mixing with the exhaust at all). is there one line per motor or two per motor? pics would help.
you just gave me a reason to go visit my boat. I'll get pics and answer these questions.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage

Lines look like they are 1"id. Two lines per motor. one on each side connected to the bottom of each header and the other end connected to the fitting on the transom. Now that I have had a look at it your comment about remote dumps makes sense. What is the reason for remote dumps? why would they be kinked off, forcing it to mix with exhaust? Then back to my original question. Should I be concerned about water pressure?
Attached Thumbnails Water Pressure concerns?-dscn1110.jpg   Water Pressure concerns?-dscn1106.jpg   Water Pressure concerns?-dscn1107.jpg  

Water Pressure concerns?-dscn0783.jpg