Notices

aluminum trailers

Old 04-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by BradH
Rocket bad? Care to elaborate?
I had to rebuild mine from the ground up shortly after I got it, and it was only 2 years old, and the boat lived on a lift! I do know that a healthy trailer relies on a proper build spec. This trailer was at it's limit, but it should not have bent two spindles, in a short time of me owning it. I replaced both axles and ditched the single drum brakes for tandem disc brakes. The main frame rails stopped just past the rear axle, and the aft of the boat only relied on suspended wood bunks for the last few feet. The winch strap broke while winching up the last couple feet and damn near took my arm off. The trailer floated. I had a wheel fly off. I did add my own forward V-bunk setup vs. the factory piece of PVC on one of the cross braces.

They can build a nice trailer, but I know their market area is the cheap end, and that's because they (can) build a cheap product. You get what you pay for. They can build a nice trailer, but don't let them fool you into thinking you are getting a nice trailer for a cheap price.

Search some of my older posts with my screenname and "rocket" as a search word for more info. I'm not the only one who has had Rocket trailer problems. Ask LapseofReason.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BDiggity
Is Myco & Manning the only two companies that use box aluminum rails?
No. McClain uses C-channel which is what you are referring too. As does Phoenix.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:26 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Back in '04 I wanted a new trailer for our Top Gun. I really wanted a Myco but didn't want to spend the money.
I settled on a new Magic Trail aluminum bunk trailer. I was pleased with the price but everytime we loaded the boat was a nightmare. The trailer floated and was a bear to get loaded so the boat was level.
Shortly after the purchase, I began to hate that trailer. We looked like fools loading the boat with the trailer floating all crooked etc.
Last fall, I decided to just go for the Myco and be done with it. Yes, It's expensive but I love it. It makes using the boat a much more pleasureable experience.

As they say, "Quality is not expensive, it's priceless"

Kurt

Last edited by Biggus; 04-07-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ptufaro
I bougth Owens & Son aluminium trailer priced fairly.
What I like about it is that that it is welded togther instead of being bolted togther makes for a much cleaner finish.
Another vote for a Owens and Son ALum. Good quality, Easy to load and for a fair price.
I paid 10k. bought did some upgrades. Elect over Hyd. brakes, LED lights, Full stailess brakes. Alum wheels .

Very happy.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all american trailer manufacturers inc just ordered a 15000# triple axle looks like a nice trailer, located in fort lauderdale
Old 04-07-2009, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i picked up a load rite, and seems to be a nice one for the $$$
Old 04-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 767 Likes on 350 Posts

I have a HI-TECH. It was half the cost of a MYCO (I couldn't get Manning to call me back).

Old School on here also has a HI-TECH and both of us are pleased with it. I figured if it was good enough for his TG with 6's it was good enough for my Cafe.
Attached Thumbnails aluminum trailers-cimg2864.jpg   aluminum trailers-copy-cimg2879.jpg  
Old 04-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I have a HI-TECH. It was half the cost of a MYCO (I couldn't get Manning to call me back).

Old School on here also has a HI-TECH and both of us are pleased with it. I figured if it was good enough for his TG with 6's it was good enough for my Cafe.
Does yours have bunks that run down the center to hold the V? If not, wonder how hard it would be to add that to a trailer.

I've notived unless they are c-channel (thanks sydwayz) most only have the outer straight-bunk which like biggus described, was a pita to load for our baja. the trailer would get crooked & then it never seemed i could get the back to sit just perfect on those 2" beams. If it had a Vchannel, it would help align it when pulling on.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

V-bunks are not hard to add. All depends on where cross members are, and where you might can add them.

On my Rocket, I bought an additional cross member, and added it to install the V-bunks. I actually bought a cross member with the "v" dip in the center of it already which worked well.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 767 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by BDiggity
Does yours have bunks that run down the center to hold the V? If not, wonder how hard it would be to add that to a trailer.

I've notived unless they are c-channel (thanks sydwayz) most only have the outer straight-bunk which like biggus described, was a pita to load for our baja. the trailer would get crooked & then it never seemed i could get the back to sit just perfect on those 2" beams. If it had a Vchannel, it would help align it when pulling on.
No - mine doesn't have them in the rear. It does have them in the front. I have never had any trouble sticking mine, because the front guides it in and the bunks are beveled to fit the boat so it really sits on their nicely. I think HI-TECH did a nice job on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.