Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   aluminum trailers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/206328-aluminum-trailers.html)

seafordguy 04-07-2009 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by BDiggity (Post 2838023)
Does yours have bunks that run down the center to hold the V? If not, wonder how hard it would be to add that to a trailer.

I've notived unless they are c-channel (thanks sydwayz) most only have the outer straight-bunk which like biggus described, was a pita to load for our baja. the trailer would get crooked & then it never seemed i could get the back to sit just perfect on those 2" beams. If it had a Vchannel, it would help align it when pulling on.

No - mine doesn't have them in the rear. It does have them in the front. I have never had any trouble sticking mine, because the front guides it in and the bunks are beveled to fit the boat so it really sits on their nicely. I think HI-TECH did a nice job on it.

BradH 04-08-2009 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2837808)
I had to rebuild mine from the ground up shortly after I got it, and it was only 2 years old, and the boat lived on a lift! I do know that a healthy trailer relies on a proper build spec. This trailer was at it's limit, but it should not have bent two spindles, in a short time of me owning it. I replaced both axles and ditched the single drum brakes for tandem disc brakes. The main frame rails stopped just past the rear axle, and the aft of the boat only relied on suspended wood bunks for the last few feet. The winch strap broke while winching up the last couple feet and damn near took my arm off. The trailer floated. I had a wheel fly off. I did add my own forward V-bunk setup vs. the factory piece of PVC on one of the cross braces.

They can build a nice trailer, but I know their market area is the cheap end, and that's because they (can) build a cheap product. You get what you pay for. They can build a nice trailer, but don't let them fool you into thinking you are getting a nice trailer for a cheap price.

Search some of my older posts with my screenname and "rocket" as a search word for more info. I'm not the only one who has had Rocket trailer problems. Ask LapseofReason.

Good info...and sorry for your bad experience. We've been fortunate not to have any really bad ones...yet.

The ones I'm familiar with are for 20-30' runabouts, and selection is usually done on cost. As you said, you get what you pay for.

jmrapp 04-08-2009 09:27 AM

I have a Ace and am very happy with it. The one thing I do know is I have to float it on and it will line up perfect, if I do it under power it will end up crooked.

45sonic 04-08-2009 11:55 AM

I've had a few. South Florida Trailers, Myco, Manning, Seahawk, Fastload, Magicfloat, and a couple more I can't remember.

Personal choices top three: Manning, South Florida, Myco

kfvintx 04-08-2009 02:07 PM

I have a Magnum and am very impressed. Very stout... welded, not bolted. Good design making loading and unloading very easy. Not sure about true price as it was part of boat purchase but sales agreement has it listed as $7k for triple axle with disc brakes and LED's.

baja27 04-08-2009 03:35 PM

I bought a new HI- TECH triple axle trailer in June, pretty nice trailer, disc brakes on all three axles.

fatdaddy 04-08-2009 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by daredevil (Post 2837736)
I think Nextrail is a real good one aswell !!

I have a Nextrail. No problems.

Indy 04-09-2009 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by baja27 (Post 2839221)
I bought a new HI- TECH triple axle trailer in June, pretty nice trailer, disc brakes on all three axles.

I'll second that. My buddy had one for his PowerPlay, very nice and priced well also.

tim brown 04-09-2009 01:45 PM

anyone else ? :ernaehrung004:

fantastixvoyage 04-30-2009 12:56 PM

Anyone familiar with Venture? They are offering a decent trade in on my 12k triple axle for something better suited to my 29'. http://www.venturetrailers.com/aluminum.html

What do you look for in an aluminum trailer to determine the good from the bad?