Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   144 Mph (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/20640-144-mph.html)

rick32 03-22-2002 08:01 PM

Dustin,
Did anything fail on that test .... engine, drives?
What type of drive was used.... was it a Six ?
Who was driving ?

Rick32 :confused:

Boatlesss 03-22-2002 08:16 PM

Was this the boat that was in the LA Boat show?

Why was a transmission used with an IMCO/Bravo drive?

burtandnancy 03-22-2002 08:17 PM

Catatude,
Do you expect this information for free? Boat builders and especially custom riggers spend hundreds of hours and hundreds of thousand dollars to develop a program like this. I don't think if you asked for this without some compensation, you would get the full story. And that would cost you more in the long run.
Rick 32,
The boat was by Eliminator, the motor by Pfaff, quad-rotor by Whipple, drive and steering by IMCO, set up by Jerry May. It doesn't get any better than that

Cattitude 03-22-2002 10:12 PM

Helping other OSO friends

B and N

To answer your question, yes, to an extent, I would expect some of these people to help fellow boaters. I've only been on this board a year but I've made many friends and I am proud to be a part of this group that goes out of their way to help other boaters trouble shoot and dial in their boats, and even tow rigs spouses, quads, trailers, boatlifts etc.

This isn't nascar and it's not like one team asking another how much wedge they are running or what their latest tuning edge is where people are on a track competing for every .01 second.

I also realize that you may not know that I bought a Whipple from Dustin, that I've sold Whipples to other board members or that I bought a new 25 Daytona from the Leach family- obviously I expect their help and I leave it up to them whether they choose to answer in an open forum or PM me.

Dustin, Fastcats, RPM, Goodfella, Sterndrivespec are all regulars on the board and forgive me for the others who I've overlooked- these people are also professionals- for hire, their livelihood- and they set fine examples of helping fellow boaters on this board- even if they are running brand x.

With that said- no I don't expect anyone to give away all the little secrets- certainly this does not happen much with engine builders.
but general things like x dimensions, shorties, which of the two 25' hull's that are offered, who's drive held up to that ype of test- I don't think that's too much to ask.

Sorry about the soapbox, and I realize you asked the question of me, not the professionals we are both referring too. Happy boating to you and stay safe!:D

Whipple Charged 03-23-2002 12:44 AM

The X dimension was setup by Jerry May and Fred Inman @ Imco. The drive was Imco new 4 gear extreme drive with a new bottom unit, compete stainless upper housing, transmission stuck in the stand off box, etc. It had 1.14 gear ratio so it needed the transmission, I think it idled at about 15mph :D There were no Mercury parts, this was an all Imco drive unit, I would call Fred Jr. or Sr. for more details on that, it's really trick and very tough, yet allows for big speeds with little drag.

As for motor details, Phaff would be best to ask, motor was awesome and had plenty left on the table :D

Can't wait for the Powerboat article to come out, should offer some great insight into this!! I know I'll have a couple plaques for my wall:D

Thanks,
Dustin

cobra marty 03-23-2002 01:00 AM

Marc at MBam, What trans did you send them? Does it have a flange for input or output? I am working on an on-board-dyno which measures real time Torque and all I need is a flange or shaft to mount a strain guage. Thanks, Marty.

burtandnancy 03-23-2002 01:34 AM

Cattatude,
Of course we all help other boaters, buts theres a limit on how much you may want to say when it comes to racing for money or you are looking for a record. Everyone holds something back. Theres also the problem when you give out too much information, your customer will take that info to your competitor who will do the job cheaper (and probably wrong). Finally, some of the information I have seen, isn't for public knowledge yet. Some products are still in development and being tested (such as this very issue). The cat (pardon the pun) is partially out of the bag. You won't be able to duplicate this boat for some time to come. The fun of the game is taking another tack and trying to exceed what has already been accomplished.

Dustin,
You forget to say that this boat went 30 to 50 in TWO seconds. The quad-rotor Whipple set up is one of the greatest new products to hit the boating industry in years...

cobra marty 03-23-2002 02:53 AM

Trying to post a graph, let's see.

cobra marty 03-23-2002 03:02 AM

Try again.

Wildchild212 03-23-2002 03:39 AM

That is way way cool:D :cool: was the driver and passenger seat modified to have you guys with them big brass balls fit in them?
Congrats guys, that is SSSSMMMOOOKINNNN:cool: :cool:
Mark