If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Boats:
    1999 SONIC 28 SS
    If you always run premium fuel you can bump the timing a bit for some added power. The down side would be if you do that you must run premium fuel or risk detonation. If you dont know what your doing dont do it and run 87-89 octane with stock timing.

Platinum Member Platinum Member Hang Time 27's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1981 Cigarette Squadron 27
    Annapolis, Md
    I'm not sure what years this applies to, but at one point in time, the merc engine management sytems would advance timing until the knock sensor detected ping, and then back the timing off a certain amount. Running 93 octane would actually keep the knock sensor from going off, and thus the box would think something is wrong, and dial timing back all the way - so you would actually loose performance by running higher than the prescribed octane. And, I think you'll also find that the idea of 93 octane "cleaning" things out is nothing but good marketing......people do it in their cars thinking they are treating it to something waste of money if the cars system is not set up for the higher octane....
    "Racing IS life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting" -- Steve Mcqueen

Charter Member #1055/Moderator Charter Member GO4BROKE's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Sonic 386
    I  Voted
    I've seen 502 Magnum EFI dyno sheets. Lost 2 hp using 93 instead of 87. If you don't have the compression or timing to take advantage of the higher octane, you are losing power. Higher octane is harder to ignite, therefore more detonation resistant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12