Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bobthebuilder's next adventure - Part 1, Ft Lauderdale to Turks & Caicos (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/207002-bobthebuilders-next-adventure-part-1-ft-lauderdale-turks-caicos.html)

GLH 04-16-2009 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We'll be at the Atlantis Saturday around noon on the Mut CYA there Bob.

Nice trip today!!!

rchevelle71 04-16-2009 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 2845893)
We'll be at the Atlantis Saturday around noon on the Mut CYA there Bob.

Nice trip today!!!

WOW,

That looks like a LONG Day:eek:

RiverGirl 04-16-2009 08:40 PM

YEAH!
.... keep all of us posted on your travels w/ pictures.
BE SAFE!

M

FREEDOM US1 04-16-2009 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 2845362)
Hope our crossing to Bahamas is nothing like yours, Jim. :) That was unbelievable. We were to have crossed Friday but the forecast is nasty winds 20 knot out of the north so we have pushed it ahead to Thursday afternoon to hopefully beat that. Next opportunity may not be till Sunday so we will give it a shot tomorrow. :)
Bob

Our Crossing was a blast!!!! :drink: Have fun!!!

Bobthebuilder 04-16-2009 11:11 PM

Thanks everyone. That was a big day with breakfast on Marco, lunch in Ft Lauderdale and dinner in Nassau. We were to have crossed Friday but moved it ahead a day to beat a front that was dropping down with 25 knot winds out of the north. We got off the water just in time this afternoon, as the wind and seas were starting to kick up. Seas were great to Bimini with rollers up to 7 ft but with a following sea made for a nice soft ride. We cleared customs at Cat Cay instead of Bimini as it is one stop shopping there but still took 2 hrs as one girl had the clear a few planes as well as us. I told her to take the day off tomorrow as she will not likely see many boats. LOL
From there we crossed the Great Bahama Bank with its incredible turquoise water where seas were less than 2 ft. From Chubb across to Nassau is another deep water crossing but again the wind was behind us and we cruised in 2 - 4's nicely until the last 15 miles when it started to get snotty.
Tomorrow is an off day where we will lay around the pool and take it easy. Saturday we will run 40 miles out to Allen Cay and check out the iguanas. Sunday will see my Canadian friends head back north while Hans and Marc and I head south to Georgetown in the Exuma chain. That could change with the weather I suppose but right now that is our plans.
I'll catch some sleep now and write a bit more tomorrow and post some pictures.:)
Bob

FREEDOM US1 04-17-2009 06:36 AM

:ernaehrung004:

XtremePowerboats.com 04-17-2009 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 2846155)
Thanks everyone. That was a big day with breakfast on Marco, lunch in Ft Lauderdale and dinner in Nassau. We were to have crossed Friday but moved it ahead a day to beat a front that was dropping down with 25 knot winds out of the north. We got off the water just in time this afternoon, as the wind and seas were starting to kick up. Seas were great to Bimini with rollers up to 7 ft but with a following sea made for a nice soft ride. We cleared customs at Cat Cay instead of Bimini as it is one stop shopping there but still took 2 hrs as one girl had the clear a few planes as well as us. I told her to take the day off tomorrow as she will not likely see many boats. LOL
From there we crossed the Great Bahama Bank with its incredible turquoise water where seas were less than 2 ft. From Chubb across to Nassau is another deep water crossing but again the wind was behind us and we cruised in 2 - 4's nicely until the last 15 miles when it started to get snotty.
Tomorrow is an off day where we will lay around the pool and take it easy. Saturday we will run 40 miles out to Allen Cay and check out the iguanas. Sunday will see my Canadian friends head back north while Hans and Marc and I head south to Georgetown in the Exuma chain. That could change with the weather I suppose but right now that is our plans.
I'll catch some sleep now and write a bit more tomorrow and post some pictures.:)
Bob

Bob, what a great trip, I have been cruising around the Bahamas for over 10 years and have made the trip several times down to the Caribbean and it is incredible, traveling through the Exumas on the sound side is beautiful and much nicer and calmer than ocean travel if you have the time a stop in Staniel Cay (your last deep water exit to the ocean from the sound) to snorkel Thunderball Grotto (best done at slack tide) bring some food to feed the Sargent Majors that will swarm around you looking for a handout is worth the trip and also a good place to await a weather window for a then short hop to Georgetown on the open water. The trip from Georgetown south to the Turks and Caicos islands can be quite challanging as the Hi seas reports are never very accurate and there are not that many places to hide once you get further south down the island chain if you leave George town and get aroud Long Island and find it a bit rough for your travel south see if you can make it across to Rum Cay another great place to lay over and wait for your weather window.
best of luck on your trip.
Allan

bowtye8 04-17-2009 07:00 AM

Bob- Great to hear its all going smooth for you and the friends.
I wish you well on your journey!!!

Dennis

salesmanship 04-17-2009 08:07 AM

Good job, now be careful around the pool.

Racegirl3 04-17-2009 08:16 AM

Awesome! Cant wait for the pics :cool: