Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
To boaters that have done MANY poker run which ones are the best? >

To boaters that have done MANY poker run which ones are the best?

Notices

To boaters that have done MANY poker run which ones are the best?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To boaters that have done MANY poker run which ones are the best?

Which poker runs are the best if it was just you and your wife or maybe one other couple. Whats your favorites in order and why?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I havent traveled to do the big poker runs, travel for the racing thing so my favorite poker runs are the local ones for us which tend to more about seeing the people I know... not that they dont have seriously cool boats My friends who travel for the more well known poker runs say that 1000 Islands, Jacksonville and of course Key West are always a good time.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

38, Check out the Jamin' on the James Poker Run, put on by the Richmond PowerBoat Association, in the Poker run and boating events section. Voted top in the top ten last year. You can get in touch with ActiveShack (Mark) or Excursion ( James) , both on OSO. It will be on July 11, this year. I really don't think you will be disappointed.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:23 AM
RHC
Registered

You have to determine what level you want to play at ,, by that I mean how much do you want to spend! We have done most of the Run's out there, I try to do one large one ( read expensive) and 4 or 5 smaller ones every year, the bigger runs are going to cost 2-4000 just because of the distance and entry cost , then add up hotels and meals and you can get the idea! The smaller runs will cost anywhere from 50bucks to $350 and then the travel and fuel for the boat , The wow factor at the big runs are off the hook, but the fun that is had at the smaller runs seems to be more relaxing and the reward's are larger ie: friendships that are made with other boaters and then going to there part of the Country to share with there local poker run's ... either way it is great entertainment and ya meet good people,, We live on lake erie and for us the "best" run would be the LEOPA thunderfest ,, $250 entry fee and Two good meals plus prizes that go 15 deep in the win order . great value and good boating , my thoughts are the best three runs ,, Key West , 1000 Island's and Scope in Cali but ,,,, big cost , big boats , and not a lot of support for the guy who is not familiar with the area,, so be prepared !! good luck and have fun !

RHC
Old 04-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Registered

Emerald Coast Poker Run in August
Old 04-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

1000 Islands.... Great Run....
Old 04-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Depands. I like the one that I actually won something.. Pier 33/Thunder Marine on Lake Mich.
But for a real Poker Run event, and not have an issue with the big boys toys, Emerald Cost, (Destin) run. Jax.. and then the KW run. Probobly in that order.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:37 PM
skater brother
Platinum Member

jacksonville,emerald coast,kw,
Old 04-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Jacksonville is great, 2 days of boating (fun run Friday, Poker Run Saturday). Lots of killer boats, plenty of room for the speed that can be achieved on flat inland water.

Key West is cool. Nice long ride down (for most it is 3+ hours of fast running, maybe 2 hours for the cats). Nice time of year for up north people getting ready to put the boat on the trailer for the end of the season. If money/time is an issue then the Miami Boat Show PR is a nice alternative in Feb.
Lots of hardware, some old school weapons and plenty of brand new boats that haven't even been in the magazines yet.

Bahamas PR- Coolest destination. Several stops at different islands. Smaller run (less than 25 boats) so you get to meet a lot of people personally. You get to run through the Bahamas with a pack of powerboats in the middle of July for a week.

These are my three favorite runs in no particular order.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

JAX and KW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.