1996 7.4 mpi clicking sounds >

1996 7.4 mpi clicking sounds

Notices

1996 7.4 mpi clicking sounds

Old 04-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 7.4 mpi clicking sounds

when i try to start the motor i only get a clicking sound comming out of the box right side of the motor under the reset button it sounds like a low battery click at the starter but its not the batteries are full charge im wondering did i hook up the starter wrong , and when i try to put a screw driver to try to jump the starter to make it work , nothing happens , and their is juice to the starter , i hooked the battery wire and the oranger and red wire to the starter and the yellow and red to the other small termial, can anyone help me pz thankyiou james
Old 04-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jimmie
when i try to start the motor i only get a clicking sound comming out of the box right side of the motor under the reset button it sounds like a low battery click at the starter but its not the batteries are full charge im wondering did i hook up the starter wrong , and when i try to put a screw driver to try to jump the starter to make it work , nothing happens , and their is juice to the starter , i hooked the battery wire and the oranger and red wire to the starter and the yellow and red to the other small termial, can anyone help me pz thankyiou james
Try this one more time, hook up agood size wire from the batterie power and touch it to the yellow/red little wire post if the engine will not turn over then the starter is bad or stuck.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:19 AM

If its a Merc make sure the starter fuse isn't blown. Its hooked up on the starter and depending on the amp can be black or white in color.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Pit
Registered

Could be a bad ground also.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pit
Could be a bad ground also.
True this boat seams to have a lot of wires unhooked looking at all his past post.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Registered

Default Clicking 7.4 mpi

yes i bought the motor off the internet was suppost to be complete but wasnt i had to spend another 2000 to get it complete so its been a night mare,but with youalls help its been much easier