Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New hyrdahoist = heart attack...HELP! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/207242-new-hyrdahoist-%3D-heart-attack-help.html)

Jonas 04-20-2009 01:15 PM

Have had small large side and center mount hoists.
Its been a while but
check the lines if the dockside is much shorter seemed to affect it and went faster up and down,
If i recall i believe that was partial problem with one of our sidemount hoists,
I have always had to adjust/regulate and pay attention iwth side mounts
our centermounts were much different and no brainer,. hit the switch and walk away have a beer and go back close valves and turn off,
WIth sidemount, critical
always raise front first and always drop rear first or it can go bow down and that is not fun!
need to make sure no air leaks, i was always a bit nervous when we went on vacation and asked somone to keep an eye,.

shoregasm 04-20-2009 01:23 PM

They give you 4 valves for a reason. Stand at the controls and make sure you regulate the filling. No motor will put out the same volume, thus filling differently. And as everyone stated, keep the nose up. They do take a bit to get used to, but do work great. Just don't expect to open up the valves and turn it on. You will have a problem doing that. I have to adjust my valves going up and down each time. ITS THE LAW

By the way, my 15,000 LB is for sale. Alum frame, great shape. Just sold the boat

O.C.Barry 04-20-2009 01:45 PM

Agreed

Originally Posted by sean stinson (Post 2848106)
Listen float your front tanks all the way first and then as the back ones are filling watch them and run them individually until they are coming up evenly together....In essence you are controlling the back ones individually at the same time when it comes up blow the tanks all of them for a bit this cleans the schmutz out of them so they dont plug up when lowering.....When lowering you can sink the back tanks partially and then dump all the valves again just watch the fronts and keep them even as it sinks.....

The illustrious Sean says it well. And to underscore, I never even started lifting the stern tanks until both front tanks were blowing bubbles. And yes, you sort of have to stay there and play gate keeper with the valves, if one side starts going up more than the other, shut the high side valve down until the other side catches up or even goes a tick higher.

And to state the obvious, some folks don't have the controls facing the same way as the boat is facing. In that instance it is kind of like backing up a trailer, you sort of have to think backwards.

I had a few gut checks when my buddy got his first Hydro Hoist, but it got easier. (The first was for Satin Doll, purportedly the first 38' pleasure Cigarette in 1978).

I hope this helps, Barry

Sydwayz 04-20-2009 02:53 PM

When it has that much of an angle, what keeps it from slipping off backwards? Do you have to spring-cleat it to the dock?

What about shallow water? That would suck to have to inflate it so bow high first and dig your aft end in to the muck.

thisistank 04-20-2009 03:00 PM

Just like others said, I went through the same thing...There's definately a SCARY AZZ learning curve if you haven't been shown how to do it.

Front sponsons all the way up to bubble and then bring the back up. It's the only way you can do it.

It looks totally un-natural when you're boat is pointing up at a 45 degree angle, but that's the way you have to do it. Dock lines secured to the hoist keep it from sliding back.

Jupiter Sunsation 04-20-2009 04:06 PM

They usually won't roll off............. my buddy had a 42 Fountain on one when a hurricane hit. One tank line let out and the whole starboard side submerged during the storm. Boat was tied to the lift, dock and sea wall and water got the rub rail wet but the boat was unscathed.....

I have seen the pics but they were printed pics/ digital. Looked real scary especially with no insurance on the boat....:eek:

HTRDLNCN 04-20-2009 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jonas (Post 2848364)
i was always a bit nervous when we went on vacation and asked somone to keep an eye,.

Mine is at a slip on a Hydro Hoist but I loop safety chains around center when boat is all the way up.
If tanks go bad the chains keep it from going down.
Wont work on a free floater though.

brian18330 04-20-2009 04:26 PM

Isnt there some kind of safety valve if a hose leaks or something???

ReggieRaft 04-20-2009 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by brian18330 (Post 2848521)
Isnt there some kind of safety valve if a hose leaks or something???

nope

brian18330 04-20-2009 06:53 PM

Will the boat roll or anything if air leaks out of a tube????