Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New hyrdahoist = heart attack...HELP! >

New hyrdahoist = heart attack...HELP!

Notices

New hyrdahoist = heart attack...HELP!

Old 04-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have had small large side and center mount hoists.
Its been a while but
check the lines if the dockside is much shorter seemed to affect it and went faster up and down,
If i recall i believe that was partial problem with one of our sidemount hoists,
I have always had to adjust/regulate and pay attention iwth side mounts
our centermounts were much different and no brainer,. hit the switch and walk away have a beer and go back close valves and turn off,
WIth sidemount, critical
always raise front first and always drop rear first or it can go bow down and that is not fun!
need to make sure no air leaks, i was always a bit nervous when we went on vacation and asked somone to keep an eye,.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They give you 4 valves for a reason. Stand at the controls and make sure you regulate the filling. No motor will put out the same volume, thus filling differently. And as everyone stated, keep the nose up. They do take a bit to get used to, but do work great. Just don't expect to open up the valves and turn it on. You will have a problem doing that. I have to adjust my valves going up and down each time. ITS THE LAW

By the way, my 15,000 LB is for sale. Alum frame, great shape. Just sold the boat

Last edited by shoregasm; 04-20-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Agreed

Originally Posted by sean stinson
Listen float your front tanks all the way first and then as the back ones are filling watch them and run them individually until they are coming up evenly together....In essence you are controlling the back ones individually at the same time when it comes up blow the tanks all of them for a bit this cleans the schmutz out of them so they dont plug up when lowering.....When lowering you can sink the back tanks partially and then dump all the valves again just watch the fronts and keep them even as it sinks.....
The illustrious Sean says it well. And to underscore, I never even started lifting the stern tanks until both front tanks were blowing bubbles. And yes, you sort of have to stay there and play gate keeper with the valves, if one side starts going up more than the other, shut the high side valve down until the other side catches up or even goes a tick higher.

And to state the obvious, some folks don't have the controls facing the same way as the boat is facing. In that instance it is kind of like backing up a trailer, you sort of have to think backwards.

I had a few gut checks when my buddy got his first Hydro Hoist, but it got easier. (The first was for Satin Doll, purportedly the first 38' pleasure Cigarette in 1978).

I hope this helps, Barry

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 04-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

When it has that much of an angle, what keeps it from slipping off backwards? Do you have to spring-cleat it to the dock?

What about shallow water? That would suck to have to inflate it so bow high first and dig your aft end in to the muck.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Just like others said, I went through the same thing...There's definately a SCARY AZZ learning curve if you haven't been shown how to do it.

Front sponsons all the way up to bubble and then bring the back up. It's the only way you can do it.

It looks totally un-natural when you're boat is pointing up at a 45 degree angle, but that's the way you have to do it. Dock lines secured to the hoist keep it from sliding back.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

They usually won't roll off............. my buddy had a 42 Fountain on one when a hurricane hit. One tank line let out and the whole starboard side submerged during the storm. Boat was tied to the lift, dock and sea wall and water got the rub rail wet but the boat was unscathed.....

I have seen the pics but they were printed pics/ digital. Looked real scary especially with no insurance on the boat....
Old 04-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonas
i was always a bit nervous when we went on vacation and asked somone to keep an eye,.
Mine is at a slip on a Hydro Hoist but I loop safety chains around center when boat is all the way up.
If tanks go bad the chains keep it from going down.
Wont work on a free floater though.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Registered

Isnt there some kind of safety valve if a hose leaks or something???
Old 04-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by brian18330
Isnt there some kind of safety valve if a hose leaks or something???
nope
Old 04-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Registered

Will the boat roll or anything if air leaks out of a tube????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.