Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   GPS speedo question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/207678-gps-speedo-question.html)

Thunderstruck 04-28-2009 07:11 AM

There are several threads on this topic around. I just had mine fixed. What's the deal, are all the batteries going out within the same time period???

gsmith9898 04-28-2009 07:30 AM

I think battery last about three years. I have never took the ant apart to see what it looks like. I send in the guage and ant just to make sure its all working when it comes back.

Stogie 04-28-2009 07:43 AM

Here is what I did:

Alright. Took it upon myself to try and fix the battery in the gps receiver/antennae. Unscrewed the white cap which has a small o-ring and teflon tape and took the unit apart by removing three small internal screws. And whaddyaknow, voila, there is a small panasonic battery in the bottom of the unit. Its held in by a couple of tack welds which were easily cut using an exacto knife. Went to Batteries Plus and bought a battery and they tack welded it back in for me, all for the grand total of $3.89. Thats right folks, three dollars and eighty-nine cents. Put the unit back together and it works like a charm. Just a bit of fyi for the do-it yourselfers!!

BraceYourself 04-28-2009 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Stogie (Post 2854207)
Here is what I did:

Alright. Took it upon myself to try and fix the battery in the gps receiver/antennae. Unscrewed the white cap which has a small o-ring and teflon tape and took the unit apart by removing three small internal screws. And whaddyaknow, voila, there is a small panasonic battery in the bottom of the unit. Its held in by a couple of tack welds which were easily cut using an exacto knife. Went to Batteries Plus and bought a battery and they tack welded it back in for me, all for the grand total of $3.89. Thats right folks, three dollars and eighty-nine cents. Put the unit back together and it works like a charm. Just a bit of fyi for the do-it yourselfers!!

Sounds like a piece of cake. Thanks

SeaDated 04-28-2009 08:46 AM

Well, I changed the battery, and yes folks, it's a piece of cake...one thing though...my problem did NOT go away. I checked the battery again using a meter and I have 2.93v across the battery ( it's a 3v Battery) I only left the key on for a minutes in the garage so question: Do I need to wait a while? Does the antenna need to be outside and re-acquirer satellites?

Stogie 04-28-2009 10:47 AM

SeaDated,

Unlike the FM signal from a radio, the GPS unit needs a little more clear "line of sight" to the satellite. According to the manufacturer, it can take as long as 30 minutes to acquire a signal and begin algorithm processing (depending on your area). My unit jumped back up to the 9 positon but only until the signal was acquired, then it began functioning properly. Get it on the water and then try.

SeaDated 04-28-2009 11:12 AM

Stogie Thank you for the info. I was going to send it off but I will now install it and give it a try this weekend. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Again, Thanks

Ptufaro 04-28-2009 07:09 PM

SeaDated,
I am having the same problem but mine sits at 60MPH which would be the 9 oclock posistion. I have been told the gps can self diagnose the problem. Do I have the same problem as SeaDated?

rbtnt 04-29-2009 12:23 AM

You can connect the speedo input to the NEMA output of a compatable GPS and do away with the antenna. I have done this a few times using a Garmin handheld with the power/data cable. There are a couple of threads on this.

Just another option.