Notices

GPS speedo question

Old 06-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is great. Mine is stuck at 9 Oclock too. I almost started to trouble shoot my GPS, until i stumbled on to this thread. thanks guys. I will pull the battery tommorrow.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:28 AM
Registered

Pretty sweet deal. the guy shrink wraped the sides, bent new tabs and spot welded them on for under $4 bucks

Old 06-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Registered

Mine died Sunday also...guess its off to BP on Rand Rd.
Thanks guys!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Registered

Some have emailed me about the torque required to remove (or in my case install) the white plastic cover. Since mine was siliconed to the top of the dash, I was able to unscrew the cover while still in the boat. However overcoming the pipe tape and o-ring resistance during install was a bit tricking since the unit was no longer secured to the dash. For those that have the antenna already out or when reinstalling, the trick i used was a pair of needle nose pliers. In the base of the unit are three screw holes used to secure the MB from the inside. The remaining thread provides just enough depth to get the tips of the pliers to resist the torque needed to get the cap on or off. Hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:12 AM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Good thread, I just went through the same issue. The antenna was originally designed to be installed independent of any power source, and primarily deployed as a tracking device by this company.

The battery inside the unit is a CR1632, found almost anywhere (usually under $2 online via eBay, etc.). It has a very limited useful life, and is NOT rechargeable.

The easiest and permanent fix is to connect your GPS NMEA output wire to the "S" terminal on the back of the gauge. This allows the gauge to display the speed as tracked by your GPS. The "S" terminal is where the orange wire is connected from the hockey puck antenna.

It's very important you remember to use your GPS configuration and setup screen to turn on NMEA output. Most default to "off" out of the box. In the "On" setting, NMEA data (which includes your speed) is sent to the gauge.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 04-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Registered

My speedo crapped out last year. Not knowing what to do, I just used the GPS. Few questions: Is there any disadvantages to hooking up the speedo directly to the gps? Will the recall still work? Also, is there a particular cable you use to hook up a Garmim?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS Speedo

Yes you can eliminate the antenna and hook directly to a NMEA0183 device. Set the baud rate at 4800 and the antenna to 0183. And yes the recall will still work.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried this with their Livorsi unit?
http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-oem-17...nmea-0183.html

Originally Posted by GAUGETHIS
Yes you can eliminate the antenna and hook directly to a NMEA0183 device. Set the baud rate at 4800 and the antenna to 0183. And yes the recall will still work.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Yes I did before livorsi droped thier price.

It works.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Registered

how did it install any problems ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.