If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    My Boats:
    20 Baja outlaw 15 boston whaler mischief,Donzi sweet 16 sold, 24 P&D sold, 22 Avanti sold, 16 superboat sold, 21 Eagle sold, Baja 226 sold,
    Long Island

ssm #3 drive?????

are these drives any good??? do they use a tranny?? what tranny??? are transmissions any good??? thank you all chris

Platinum Member Platinum Member Smarty's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Pitman, NJ
    They are a good drive, and require a transmission. Been around for 30 plus years. How much hp are you running? A BAM 9 plate Cyborg is good for 850 hp (advertised), or a Huber transmission. As long as the transmission is rated for the hp then you should be good, more transmission plates/clutch discs.

Platinum Member Platinum Member O.C.Barry's Avatar
    My Boats:
    28 Cigarette SS Race Edition
    Ocean City, MD

# 3SSM's

Quote Originally Posted by 21eagle View Post
    are these drives any good??? do they use a tranny?? what tranny??? are transmissions any good??? thank you all chris
    They are great drives but Mercruiser discontinued them a number of years ago so some of the parts are getting scarce. Mercruiser followed up the 3 with a SSM3A which had larger prop shafts and some other beefier parts. The SSM3A was discontinued a few years back as well. There are lots of these drives out there and they are very good drives, but again some of the parts can become a challenge.

By the way SSM4's were only built for about 18 months, so they are very difficult to find parts for.

SSM5's were a shortened version of the SSM3A so the bulk of the parts are the same as SSM3A's.

Thanks, Barry

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598

My Boats:
    Making the best in the industry BETTER for over 25 years...... Lip-Ship Performance 305-933-9988
    Channel Islands, So. Cal.
    We have 3A's on our Top Gun. Been great drives!! With only the 600 HP we have going to them, no problems when I "miss" a launch here and there

I've heard they have the basic inards of the #6 drive and were commonly refered to as baby 6's.

I wouldn't worry about parts....They'll be parts around longer than you'll own the boat most likely.