Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Easy way to add HP to 350 mag ??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/20833-easy-way-add-hp-350-mag.html)

pullmytrigger 03-27-2002 10:34 PM

Mike- I really dont want to get into this but........I know a guy who has a 87 32 Pachanga,twinn 330s and alphas, not exactly a "light" boat, had the boat for years, lots of people, lots of holeshots, never had a problem............

Waterfoul 03-27-2002 11:06 PM

Not arguing with you....

Mine....454 ci. 330hp, ~5000 lb boat, never lasted more than two months. Rebuilt it, blew it up. NEVER did hole shots. Bought the Bravo.:D Even a 32 Pachanga is putting less stress on an alpha than my Baja did. Hp to wieght ratio thing at work here. G-Force runs twin alpha's on his 32 also, and has also never had an issue that I know of. But I think he is adding Bravos due to bigger hp motors.

Just don't want anyone to go thru what I did. And the gear ratio was somewhere near 1.36, but not really sure what it was. Been 7 years!!!! Happy with Bravo performance. Never had a hp related issue with a Bravo.

Take care......off to bed now. 5:00 start time in the a.m.!!!!!

Tinkerer 03-27-2002 11:45 PM

WATERFOUL is right with the twin engine the drive will hold up a lot better. And it is torque that will break the alpha drive not hp. A small block with 400 hp will not snap the drive as fast as a big block with 330 hp in the same boat. I used to have a LOT of hp going tru an alpha and only broke it once due to excesive gear lash. Later on I was running an alpha SS and a lot more hp ( over 500 hp out of a ford 302 ) and then I did start to grenade the drive.

wwwTOPDJcom 03-28-2002 12:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Great now Im worried! I really wished it had a bravo
but it dont . I do know it weights around 3900 and the prop
is a stainless 21" Vented. sounds a little high? anyways it should be 1.50 ratio , I have a merc power prop2 that shifts from 15 to 21, so that should take care of the hole shot problem .
So when they do go alpha2 that is what is it that fails uppers
or the lowers? do those drive showers help alpha's?
I would guess not that much if the failing is related to high torque
figuers.

Oh anyone want my 350mag alpha 2 Ill swap ya for a 502 bravo
ha ha

candyman35 03-28-2002 12:21 AM

WWW TOPDJ COM,

Go with the through hull exhaust. It should give you 2-4 MPH and will sound a lot better. I would put on a switchable exhaust like Corsa makes. Make sure that it will be compatible with whatever headers you may want to add in the future. You'll need to replace the cam to get the full benefit of a new carb.

A friend added through hull exhaust, mild cam and carb to his 302 OMC and picked up eight MPH. That was with the stock exhaust.

Good luck,
Dan

Iggy 03-28-2002 09:32 AM

If I had the money, I'd swap the factory intake for a Performer RPM, keeping the Q-Jet, and change the exhaust manifolds.
Then I'd think about changing the cam, lifters and rockers.