Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Automatic Halon system recirtification times and others??? >

Automatic Halon system recirtification times and others???

Notices

Automatic Halon system recirtification times and others???

Old 05-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Automatic Halon system recirtification times and others???

Just wondering how long between certifications for automatic Halon systems is, and how to tell if your tank is still charged or not.

On my auto halon in the engine compartment, there is no dial indicating charge. When I turn the key on, the dash light for the Halon system goes green, and says ok.

Thanks!

PS. And yes it is a Halon system, says right on the tank.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They are supposed to be check once a year. The only way to check them is to weigh the unit, the gross weight should be marked on the cylinder. If it does not weigh what is marked, it is no good. A local Fire Extinguisher company can certify it for you.

Mark
Old 05-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Registered

And if it is outdated, can it be filled and have the tank certified from the company, or do you just get new ones?
Old 05-08-2009, 05:51 AM
freezeframevideo.net
Commercial Member

Received 806 Likes on 595 Posts

I Called Fire Boy About Mine They Said They Do Not Refill Or Check This Units With Halon Any More. The gauge says in the good and also weigh it it and its good to go, freeze frame
Old 05-08-2009, 12:02 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

I have dual halon units and have been told I was good as long as the light was green. I have wondered if that was sufficient though.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:38 AM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
I have dual halon units and have been told I was good as long as the light was green. I have wondered if that was sufficient though.
The problem with dual Halon system unless they are tied together and each one is sized to put out the fire. It will not put the fire out. THe chance of both systems fusing the head at the same time is slim.

The coast guard up here in Lake Michigan wrote warnings to a couple friends of mine because they didn't have thier units tagged.

Reading the guage is not enough nor is looking at the light. Guages stick and so do pressure switches. The unit must be weighed.

Because of DOT standards no manufacturer that I am aware of will refill a discharged unit.

Mark
Old 05-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Registered

Where is a good place to buy a replacement, automatic halon unit?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:45 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MrCIG
The problem with dual Halon system unless they are tied together and each one is sized to put out the fire. It will not put the fire out. THe chance of both systems fusing the head at the same time is slim.

The coast guard up here in Lake Michigan wrote warnings to a couple friends of mine because they didn't have thier units tagged.

Reading the guage is not enough nor is looking at the light. Guages stick and so do pressure switches. The unit must be weighed.

Because of DOT standards no manufacturer that I am aware of will refill a discharged unit.

Mark
They are both the correct size to extinguish a fire in that space. The theory was that one would do the job and the other if it re-ignited. The pressure circuits are wired in series so if either one fails the light will not illuminate.