Notices

Remembering Tom Newby

Old 05-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remembering Tom Newby

I want to share an experience I had yesterday that many of you will appreciate. The story is about Tom Newby, the beloved, super talented photographer who tragically passed away on 9/11/07 doing precisely what he loved.

Some of you may know that I represented Tom’s family after he died. We had a final hearing in California yesterday to conclude his estate. Afterward, I was invited to Tom’s home to look through his photograph collection. His garage is a shrine to his work - 15 years worth of photos/slides from his Unlimited and Offshore days in books filled up dozens of boxes. I was looking for pictures of my boats from 1997 – 1999. At first we found nothing. Then we went into his dark room where more pictures, books and boxes were. One box had several loose sheets filled with slides of various events from different years. As I leafed through the sheets I found one that nearly took my breath away. Here is where the story gets emotional for me. A little background is in order.

At the 1998 Biloxi Worlds, we had a terrible start, behind the entire field of 10 boats or so. Once we got going, we committed to the very inside lane, hoping we could get to the first turn in a position to make up ground through the corner. As the old F-2 racers well remember, everyone reached the turn at virtually the same time. There was one boat to our immediate right that had a slight lead. We got through the first buoy, nearly hitting it, clean. The boat to our right dropped down cutting us off. We ran up the boat’s rooster tail and nearly barrel rolled. We turned hard left and avoided going over but we wound up missing the exit buoy. There was a brief “discussion” about turning around. Believing we had been cut off illegally, we decided not to and continued racing. However, we never made up ground and wound up finishing third.

We went to the Mercury truck afterward to view the results only to see we had not been credited with that first lap and were shown in last place. We ran to race control to argue our case. We were losing the argument until Pop showed up to say he had seen the entire thing and that we had indeed been cut off. We were given our third place position.

The sheet of photos I found in Tom’s dark room showed the entire sequence, proving 11 years ago that we were right! Now, I do not know what, if anything, all that means, but to anyone who has a faith in the Lord, and knew Tom Newby, the finding befitted a smile, a laugh, and some tears. I did all three. RIP Tom Newby. You left a beautiful family and wonderful legacy behind. RIP.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great guy, I new him through racing a little, but was fortunate enough to spend some time with him at the Powerboat tests a few years ago and realized he was more than just a photograher I knew from race sites, but a really fun, talented guy
Old 05-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 3,017 Likes on 987 Posts

Nice to see his name pop up still. Great story...Awesome guy.

Pic of my wife, Tom and I watching the 4th of July fire works in the Channel Islands Harbor with Vicki and his boys a few years ago.

He is missed.
Attached Thumbnails Remembering Tom Newby-tank-_kelly-_tom%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 05-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Registered

I spent many years and countless miles in the air (both airliner and helicopter) and on the road with Tom. His personality was like his photos, larger than life. I'll always remember him fondly.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 3,017 Likes on 987 Posts

Doing what he loved!
Attached Thumbnails Remembering Tom Newby-img_0388.jpg  
Old 05-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thisistank
Nice to see his name pop up still. Great story...Awesome guy.

Pic of my wife, Tom and I watching the 4th of July fire works in the Channel Islands Harbor with Vicki and his boys a few years ago.

He is missed.
Just met Tom's boys. Chips off the old block, no doubt.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Registered

I had the pleasure of meeting Tom at the Sarasota Powerboat trials during my time with Velocity. He was very welcoming and friendly to my wife and myself. He was one of many people in the industry that I am thankful for having the opportunity of getting to know, if just a little.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:06 PM

Not only was Tom one of the best behind the camera, he was a great friend and one of the nicest guys around. I have had so many laughs with him and Matt Trulio down in Florida. He will is deeply missed and till this day I think of Tom when a Helicopter is flying over my head while in my boat.
Thanks Mike for reminding us about one of the greatest.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Registered

I can tell you one more very important thing: Tom was an incredible dad. His boys are really, really, terrific kids. Polite, respectful, and they show their love to their mom.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Registered

Great story! Thanks for sharing. RIP Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.