Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What do you tip? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/20883-what-do-you-tip.html)

Jana 03-25-2002 01:53 PM

I've never really tipped the guys at my marina. (Guess I probably should.) I did take one of the young dock hands for a spin in the Donzi once and I usually drop off a tub of popcorn for everybody around Christmas.

Daryl 03-25-2002 02:15 PM

I tip 5.00 at the gas dock and 2 or 3 to the dock hands. It really does help I believe next time you stop there.

CigDaze 03-25-2002 02:47 PM

I found tipping to be very important in and around marinas. I also rack store my boat, and occasionally when just relaxing at the adjacent bar, I take notice of their work. You can definately tell which boat's belong to tipping owners and which don't. I give the two main lift guys an average of $20-$25 a month and a few bucks here and there for the dockhands. I'm in and out of the water as much 3-4 days a week.

And I'll tell ya what...I haven't accumulated not so much as a scratch on my boat. They save me their fenders they carry on the trucks, always put me right where I need to be(near fuel or on my favorite work rack) and it almost always gets me in the water at the precise time I request. It also helps when I request a slip for an evening or two. :cool: :cool:

flylevel 03-25-2002 03:20 PM

I will tip if the service is good. The people that work the dock at Grand Haven Municipal do a great job. I have had dock hands stand there and do nothing.

Bo Knows 03-25-2002 03:39 PM

I always tip the dock hands $5.00. Make sure you tip when you first come in, then they take good care of your boat. If you tip when leaving it's too late for them to take good care of your boat. When your leaving a boat that costs you many thousands of dollars in their hands $5.00 is cheap insurance! I trailer every weekend & launch at the same place. The first weekend of the season I always bring a case of Michelob iced up in a throw away cooler and a bottle of wine. Once again make sure you do this at the beginning of the season or its wasted!

enticer 03-25-2002 03:40 PM

Let's seeeeeeee....the last time I got a tip for doing my job that I get paid to do......Hummmmm....Hummmm ......Ohhhh..NEVER.
And I do tip very well....but unfortunately..not at the docks.

Shorty 03-25-2002 03:46 PM

I usually tip about 10% cash to the gas dock hotties. And that's usually a 20 spot. Most of them are in college working there for the summer and can use the bucks. Plus, they never fail to make my wife just a little bit jealous by the time we leave and that's a bonus all in itself ;) ;)

For helping me tie up and keeping and eye on the boat at a dock bar, usually $5.

But I admit to holding a double standard. I don't tip the guys near as well. I will only tip the guys at the gas dock as much as the girls if they pop the hatch, top off the oil and trim tab bottle. They have to work harder for it.

seanclong 03-25-2002 04:02 PM

Originally posted by Mach1Shorty
I usually tip about 10% cash to the gas dock hotties. And that's usually a 20 spot. Most of them are in college working there for the summer and can use the bucks. Plus, they never fail to make my wife just a little bit jealous by the time we leave and that's a bonus all in itself ;) ;)

For helping me tie up and keeping and eye on the boat at a dock bar, usually $5.

But I admit to holding a double standard. I don't tip the guys near as well. I will only tip the guys at the gas dock as much as the girls if they pop the hatch, top off the oil and trim tab bottle. They have to work harder for it.

I never get THAT level of service. The gas guy usually just hands me the nozzel and I have to stand there holding the lever until my tank is full. They've never checked the motor oil or the trim fluid. Perhaps because I've never tipped them? :confused: Who knows. My marina is a little more casual...

cgarrett 03-25-2002 06:17 PM

I keep my boat in dry stack and tip the dock hands a few bucks for helping me launch and dock. I also give the lift operators some money on ocasion. As stated above I feel that they are a little more motivated to help those that give a little. I also try and do the same when I'm transient docking. I usually ask them if they want a beverage now and also invite them back after they are off work to dip in the cooler or have a snack.
Cordell

blue thunder 03-25-2002 07:54 PM

I read that same article in the Mariner. It had me handing out 5s, 10s and 20s all over the Chesapeake. Other than weekend stays, which we often do, it didn't help a darn thing. I found myself giving 5 bucks to turds that stood there (like the dork they were) and watched me try to tie up alone in a stiff wind in a 30' boat. Didn't take me to long to figure out... you kiss my ass first, then I'll shower you with wealth. Not the other way around. My rule is... they don't get chit less they earn it!! It they earn it... they get it.... course lessin there a sweet little hottie...

BT :cool: