recomendations on my first boat?

Notices

recomendations on my first boat?

Old 03-27-2002, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by WWW TOPDJ COM
This should be a requirement!
It is with some of the boat clubs. TOPPS requires proof of education before you can join.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:30 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really think you should take a look at my boat..
I had an ad here on OSO classifieds, but it's gone for some reason. Here is my ad on another website.
My Mirage

I recomend you do like I did. A cheaper used boat , then you can look at what you'ld like to move up to. but, still have fun on the water and learn how to handle a boat in something smaller. This was my first performance boat in 15 years. My last one was a 19' jet. My next one is going to be a 31' ______.
Old 03-27-2002, 11:35 AM
Uncle Toys

Dreamer - Welcome to the board and the wonderful world of "sanctuary through speed." There is a wealth of information on this board, but it does take some work to mine it. I was in a similar situation only last August and the help I have received has been enormous. The first advice I would give you is learn to do searches. Second would be to learn how to read a members previous posts. The art is learning who to listen and their previous posts can be very instructive.

If its true that money is no object, then the only advice that matters goes something like this. Driving these things is not as automatic as you might think (Murphy's law). You can easily purchase more boat than you can handle, and as we have witness recently - speed can kill! If your a single individual with no kids and you kill yourself that's one thing. But personally, I think it is abominable if you take that risk without proper preparation and there are people who depend on you. Safety first, then speed.

Sorry if that is too sobering, but it is the "wealth of information" I have learned from this board.

On the lighter side, check out these threads as a starting point: "Great Moments in V Bottom History," "Great Moments in Cat History," "Cats - My first time in the rough - what was that?" I am sure there are many more, those are just the ones that come to mind. From these you will start to get a flavor of which members to do searches on. A few I would suggest (certainly not an exhaustive list, I am still new at this also) would be T2x for cats, SteveDavid for V hulls, Dustin for blowers, Philip and Miller for driving, Mark at BAM for Merc stuff, Baja Daze and MikeStar for posting pictures and tech stuff, and Too Old and Cattitude for sober thinking.

Enjoy and participate! If the going gets rough because of something you posted, remember SteveDavid's advice, "Sling mud and you only lose ground."

Last edited by Uncle Toys; 03-27-2002 at 11:40 AM.

Old 03-27-2002, 01:36 PM
Registered

Default What an intro!

I wanted to reply to this yesterday but it was a crazy day!

You've been given a lot of great info already- but i'll touch on some things unsaid.

you've been spoiled by your buddy's nice big ride. More improtantly- your wife has been spoiled too. You will be boating in primarily rougher waters, your pleasant experience is in a boat significantly larger than you are considering based on your $$plan.

You and your wife need some seat time (like a whole day- buy the gas for someone and mooch a day on the lake in their boat) in the type and size of boat you will buy, preferably in average or above average chop. You need to appreciate the difference in ride, both sitting still and under way at speeds your lake friends typically cruise at. Your wife may have different comfort levels based on depth of cockpit and freeboard (They generally like more of it).

I've always said that any boat that gets you on the water safely and reliably, smiling, is a good boat. Make sure both of you are comfortable in whatever you buy. Then you will have to decide older and bigger vs newer and smaller for same $$. It may be an option to buy your friends plenty of fuel and ride with them a few more years until you can swing more $ for what you really want- while you're with them learn, learn learn.

I'm not tryin to poo poo anything- just don't be in a rush and by something without knowing what you are getting- including ride and comfort for your first mate- a lesser boat than what she is used too could make a pleasant trip "tolerable" which can easily take the fun out of boating. different people have different thresholds and for that matter it can be an awful fine line for sea sickness too. Good luck to you!
Old 03-27-2002, 02:05 PM
Uncle Toys

See, what I tell you. Is that good sober thinking or what

Old 03-27-2002, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for all the info opinions and advice... that said, i think i'm going to take a long look at sean's 28!!... ted
Old 03-27-2002, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One Last Thing: Before you buy, Post a description of the boat and its specs on the board. And a picture if possible. We had an interesting situation on the board about three months ago with a membes boat that was sold in poor condition and the new owner tried to resale the boat for quit a bit more in great condition. Within a few hours the new seller pulled the post and nobody from this forum was taken advantage of. This site can work as a great tool and there is alot of knowladge within the members. Check out the reputation of Individual Boats, Brokers, and Dealers. The boating community is smaller than you think and you get to pull very few scams before the word is out. Again, Good luck. If you need any help or a list of brokerage boats feel free to call not only myself but any other broker or salesperson on the board. Take Advantage of what you have here!!!
Old 03-27-2002, 05:37 PM
Registered

Look for an old 30 Scarab. there's a ton of them around. Its a good looking boat. They handle rough water GREAT, and there well built. That was my first offshore, and I loved it.
Old 03-27-2002, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

is it the concencus, considering good condition, good size, good quality, maint. cost, storage, operation, reliability etc. that for $3X,XXX.00 seans 28 cig is a good first boat for me?
any and all opinions are apprec. thanks... ted
Old 03-27-2002, 10:57 PM
KN
Registered

Thumbs up

Ted with a first boat like Seans 28' Cigarette there won't be a need for a second or third boat If it's a clean as it looks in the pictures and is as nice as everyone says it is ( who have actually seen it ) I would definatelly give it a hard look. What a nice boat, it must ride and handle great. It has nice reliable power somewhat economical as far as boats are concerned And it's unique, probable one of the nicest 28' Cigarettes in the country. Do yourself a favor and buy it, before someone else reading this thread does. Plus you'll fit right in with your buddy who has the top gun. Good Luck

Kirk

Quick Reply: recomendations on my first boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.